Make an Electric Smoker:

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by kat in the hat, Feb 21, 2009.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    OK...I have one of those Dale Jr. NASCAR gas can smokers. We won it from the convenience store a couple of years ago. Haven't ever used it. Thought about selling it, but it's really not worth much...yet. Anyways, I also have one of those extra burner type electric heating elements. Anybody have any suggestions, or objections to using that burner to convert this charcoal smoker into an electric? I know it can be done. I've seen them make a smoker out of a cardboard box on Good Eats. Would the heating element need to be made to be covered with soaked wood chips, or just placed under the pan that holds the chips? It's tall and skinny, so if I were to smoke ribs, they would have to be hung vertically in the smoker. I also thought it would be good for butts, or even jerky.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's not big, but doesn't really need to be. Just functional. When I get it done, I will post pics.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Matt, daddy made one from a coke machine. (stand up model) gutted it out and put his heating element in the bottom. He learned how critical temp. control is when making summer sausage and added a rheostat to it. Sausagemaker.com sells the elements, rheostats, whole 9 yards. Let us know how it works when ya getter going.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Oh yhea, he puts wet chips in a pan. Sawdust from a chainsaw works well also

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I am gonna build on soon. Either gonna weld up a steel box to use or find an old refrigerator and gut it. Then use a heating element like you said Matt and have it so I can use charcoal also if I choose.
    All you have to do on yours is figure out a way to modify it to hold the heating element, shouldn't be too hard. Don't know if you have a welder or access to one but it would make it easier.

5. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Alton Brown also did an episode where he made a smoker out of 2 clay pots that used a electric hot plate. He had the grates from a regular weber grill that you can buy anywhere. The plans are on the website. I thought it was pretty cool. He used mild wood sawdust like apple, hickory, pecan, etc. in an aluminum pie pan placed directly over the hotplate. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

:cool2:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, having a thermostat control is important; critical if you're making a smoker out of a fridge or freezer. I tried making some jerky once in an old fridge. I had the idea that simply putting a light bulb inside would provide enough heat. Not only did it provide enough, it provided way too much. I ended up with a batch of burnt-up jerky meat. But my Little Chief Smoker worked just fine without one. But then, the heating element was designed for that particular box.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Now Jerry you must be pulling my leg. The light bulb stays on in my refrigerator when the door is shut, but my food stays cold! lol good one you had me going there for awhile :big_smile:

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
  9. Old Hippie

Old Hippie New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    How do you know this?

10. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State: