Make a slip sinker using a balloon!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by jeremiad, Aug 16, 2006.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I was reading a library article where the fisherman used two rubber bands to hold a rock for weight. That got me thinking... The rubber bands are far too aggravating to use. Why not use a balloon?

After all, you probably already carry balloons for making floats, and why not? A balloon float can carry your bait from boat or shore far out to where you want them. Now, simply use a second one of those balloons to hold your weight!

Now, when the big cat strikes, you want to fight the fish without the extra weight holding you back, right?

Take a balloon and cut the end off. Not the end you blow through--the other end. Now you have a rubber tube. Take a swivel and work it through the end that you blow through; the rolled end will reinforce your connection to the swivel. You can then use beads to restrict the transit of the weight up and down the line (I prefer slip weights to fixed for casting).

Take a river pebble and place it in the cut end of the balloon. Other weights such as bolts will work also. The key here is selecting the balloon to match the weight in size, and vice versa. You want the smallest weight necessary to hold the bait. You want the smallest balloon possible to match the weight. The best thing to do is to experiment until you find the right diameter rock that will match your balloon, a process not to much different from setting the right drag on your reel!

Using a balloon to hold a rock or other weight makes sense, because when the fish strikes the weight will drop off, if you select the right weight to match the balloon. The advantage is also that you don't loose any tackle in the process of catching the big one! Don't forget: rocks are cheap! :big_smile:

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Are you stretching the cut end of the ballon over the stone ? Strange as it may seem, there aren't any rocks/river stones around here. They don't call this area The Sand Hills for no reason. I suppose I could buy some at Lowes etc. By the way, nice looking guitar in your avitar. Do you play guitar ?

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Dick,

Yes, place the weight in the cut end of the balloon by stretching the balloon over the weight. I have found that bolts, spark plugs, and granite rock will also work.

The balloon stretches over the weight, holding it in place. Since the weight is held evenly all the way around, you won't easily lose the weight when you cast. However, when the fish strikes, the weight is shaken enough that it is dislodged from the end of the balloon, dropping free.

-----------------------------------

Yes, this is a picture of my guitar; a Guild Starfire III. Fender, who now owns Guild, reissued the Starfire line for a short time in the 90's, and I was blessed to be able to get one while they were available.

Thanks, and God bless you!