Major question about arrows.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Katfish Kern, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Alright fellas, I have more silencers on my bow than a mafia hit squad, and I was still getting alot of noise (vibration) when I released. I have been shooting aluminum Easton XX75 Gamegetter 2216 Lite arrows. I can only imagine that these arrows are just twanging once I release. The Eastons are also 31 6/16 long. I am pretty dead on up to 40 yards. But here is where things change. I recently bought some carbon Beman C2 400 8.4 GPI arrows. They are 32 6/16 long, a full inch longer than my old arrows. So now that I have blabbed enough, can I shot these Beman arrows at the new length, or do I need to cut them down an inch. Also if I dont cut them, how off are my pins going to be with this new longer, lighter arrow?

Mo Hicks, I bet you have some insight!! Anyone that can help I would greatly appreciate it. Seasons here! and I am here typing on the computer! Dont that beat all!

2. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It won't hurt a thing to shoot them the way they are. You could get them cut down, but there is not really any need too.

3. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Will my pins be all out of wack??

4. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You will probably have to sight your bow in again....going from aluminum to carbon arrows, they will shoot different.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Seth! First of all, let's talk about the vibration concern!! Sounds like there is something definantly loose on the bow. Screws, sight, stabilizer, cam bearings, etc.. I would take the bow to a pro shop and have it inspected thoroughly for any loose parts. Your arrows are definently heavy enough to absorb the shot, so that should be of no concern.

What is your draw lenght? Ususally at full draw, you'll only need around 1" of arrow extending past the rest. Are you using these arrows for hunting or just plinking? Using your newer, lighter arrows, you might have to adjust the sights accordingly. That extra length will add some weight, so the difference shouldn't be to much noticeable.

Myself, if this is a hunting setup, I would opt for the heavier arrows for penetration purposes!! Heavier arrows penetrate more. Bar None!!

Imagine this!! Would you rather catch a tennis ball coming at you at 90mph or a 16lb bowling ball at 90mph. Get the picture!! More kenetic energy will be generated with the heavier object and the same appiles to arrows.

Anyhow, practice with arrows and check your groups at different yardages. If you feel comfortable with the performance, then go for it. Lighter, isn't always better. True, you'll gain speed, but sacrifice some accuracy and penetration!!

Hoping this helps.:big_smile:

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    What he said! I've always gone with heaver arrows because they penetrate better. At normal hunting ranges you really don't need a super fast arrow. They also tend to be more silent off the bow, also.

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    What draw weight and length are you pulling? That's the only reason you might need to cut the arrow's down is if your arrows are underspined. Shortening them up will stiffen the spine for you.

I pull 70 pounds and 28" length and Beman 400's cut to 28" are what I used to shoot before switching to GoldTip 5575's.

As far the vibration, make sure you have everything tightened down. Is this an older bow? Sometimes the older bows are just loud. The heavier arrows will make it quieter as well. I don't put much into all those string silencers. The more junk on your string, the slower you'll shoot. Limb savers are about the only dampening I do on my bows.