Maintenance on an old 5.5hp

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by arz6x2, Apr 20, 2006.

1. arz6x2

arz6x2 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have on old outboard that is seemingly good shape.(it looks clean and runs). i think its like a 1960 model. it needs a new gas hose because age has caused the line to crack and squirt out gas. is there anything preventative or something that should be done to a motor like that that has been sitting around for 5 plus years. i know there is something i should do with the lower casings, probably lubrication but im not sure how or what. thanks for all the help!
    alex

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Post the make and model/serial numbers and we can help you out much better .

It helps me when I can Identify them.

Bubba just wants to see if the motor's been reported stolen:lol:

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

I think I have one missing about that size.:haha:

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Alex, you being a fairly new member,I wasn't the usual smart ass I would be with the older members. :p

We can't help without information on your motor, nobody can.

We can sure guess though, and you'll get plenty of responses from wanna be's.

Now get yer butt out there and get us the danged information we need:waaaht:

5. arz6x2

arz6x2 New Member

State:
    missouri
    its an early 1960s not sure about the date and i dont have the motor in front of me as i am in college so i cant look at the serial number. i do know that it is a 5.5 hp evinrude fisherman. if you guys can help at all it would be greatly appretiated.
    alex

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    First chance you get, you need to post the model number of the engine.

It can be found on a tag located on the mounting bracket or on an aluminum plug about the size of a quarter, located near the back of the engine, close to the flywheel.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Don't worry about the srial number we need the model number.

It is nesseary because they made a lot of changes to those motors in the early sixties.

Don't mind bob's sinnagans :wink: I forgot to take him his prozak this am.:go:

8. arz6x2

arz6x2 New Member

State:
    missouri
    will do! thanks