maintenance for a penn reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by nitemare_63, Sep 22, 2009.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i purchased a penn 310gti last year and i used it alot this year and i am wondering what all can i do to keep it working like new basic maintanence? i still have the service manual and im not much for taking anything like that apart or dont have the know how so is there is anything i can do to keep it clean and working good without taking the whole thing apart cause i cant do? thanks guys

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Man, just keep using it and enjoy. They are amazing reels and take a ton of abuse. I have had 9 of them in use constantly for 8 years and have only had to replace 2 worms and 1 prawl, not too bad. About $10 total in repairs and easy repairs at that.

3. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have an old 209 that I've had for about 35 years or so and all I do is keep it clean and oil it once in a while. The things are bulletproof. You will have many years of use out that. Tight lines.

:cool2:

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep the levelwind is the week link of any baitcaster keep it cleen and you should be ok.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dustin like others have stated, you have a fine reel and it needs little maintenance. However, I would suggest you find a reel repair shop in your area to service your reel and you watch them do it. This way you will only pay once and then you can do it from then on.

6. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
    There's a fella named Alan Tani that appears on many different forums. He is a great source of maint & repair info and know how. Here's some info on his website about the 310gti. Enjoy-

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7.0

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I know my penn 9 was used and abused and it's still kicking 5 years later with no maintenance whatsoever. This included some pretty extensive salt water use the first two or 3 years. It's held up fine. My buddy's got the same ones you have and he's the same way. Use them and abuse them, that's what Penns are for:smile2::wink: They can really take a beating.

8. dex

dex New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The best way to take a Penn GTI apart without getting into trouble is to take out the outter screws not the 4 inner screws by the handle that is where the trouble is. The whole right side comes off and lube the gears from there.