Maintainance is a MUST for your reels.

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by dankitch, Apr 27, 2007.

1. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Wolfman just swaped for a Penn 209. The anti-reverse wasn't working so I told him I would take a look at it. I took the reel apart, and I have not seen a reel in such a bad shape before. It looked like it has not had any oil in it since it was new. And there was so much dirt and dust in it. I decided to completely disassemble the reel and boil all the parts and do a good cleaning on it. Well the problem with the anti-reverse was the dog spring was missing. The dog was very worn too. (from the lack of oil) When I started to remove the drag discs they crumbled in my hand. So I ordered him some new parts and lubed and reassembled the reel tonight. Man, I love the way a Penn feels after it has been cleaned and lubed. And with the new drag discs in it, the drag is AWESOME! I am thinking about replacing drag discs in all my older Penns. If you haven't done a yearly maintainance on your reels yet, do it now. Penn reels are super easy to take apart and clean.

2. juice

juice New Member

State:
    iowa
    thank you for the reminder i usually do that at the end of every fishing season but i forgot to last year. nothing worse than having a reel junk out on you when tring to land a big one

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Good info there Dan.
    Walter, tsk,tsk, Shame on you. How can you aspire to be the James Bond of catfishing if you don't look after your weapons:lol: :lol: :lol: ...W

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Its a good idea to do maintenance on your reels, but every spring I bring my baitrunners to get serviced and the tackle shop always says they dont need it yet. Shimano baitrunners are sealed up really well, mine get wet all the time and get sand on them but it never seems to get inside the reel and nothing ever corrodes. I guess next spring I will insist on him doing it anyways since they will be three years old.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    well, what can I say. You never know what you are getting from a pawn shop, lol

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    what pawn shop, what are you talking about.

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Its his reel that was dirty hes just telling us he got it at the pawn shop.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    oh, lol I thought he was implying that I got my reels at a pawn shop. I guess if I read it closer I would have figured it out.

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Danny,

"Your Right"! :0a27:

Maintainance is a must for your fishing gear - And that means "All" of your gear. :wink:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Do you wash/wipe out the old grease before you add the new lube in your reels?

11. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I would recommend removing all the old grease/lube once a year. In Wolfman's case, the grease was dried up and it looked pretty bad. I boiled all the parts (except for the idler gear, it's made of plastic) in water. Then I had to clean each spline on all the gears. I boil all my parts once a year to make sure I get a good cleaning. I have used WD-40 (in the past) to get dust and dirt out of small places I couldn't get to with a Q-tip. But now I just boil everything.

12. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey, I'm gonna have to try that! I go through WD-40 right and left. (I have alot of penn reels!) Water's gotta be cheaper!!
    One thing I did notice is the differences in the click spring (talking about 15 209's). Granted, this just may be wear and tear, but I wonder. I know everyone knows to back the drags off in the off season, but it seems to me that the clicker should be engaged during storage, and between uses. Reason being, when the clicker is disengaged, the click spring is held open, and when engaged, the spring is closest to its resting state. Seems like a good idea, anyway.

13. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    oh, what I meant by differences in the click springs of my 209's was how some were weaker than others, with no visible signs of abuse or wear and tear to the click tongue.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I learned to treat all unknown reels as if they had been stored in a bucket of sand and saltwater as some looked like it internally.Beware of any reel used for surf fishing as they all have been subjected to salt spray and blown sand and most have been repeatedly immersed in the sandy salt water in the surf.You can have the same grit problem with freshwater bank fishing.You may be able to wash out the salt,but the grit sticks to your lube and can only be removed by removing your lube.You still have the grit grinding away no matter how new your lube is.This is a big problem with level winds as they are so exposed.Think about it!Old hard grease needs to be removed and replaced even if the reel has not been used since it has been cleaned and lubed.That hard grease will not lube anything that it will not flow into.Any one out there know of any modern grease that does not harden or set up with age?Please let me know if you do.I would like to try it.Most of the very old reels that are still around were lubed only with Vasoline as that is what we had readily available.A tiny bit goes a long way in each spot.Too much lube and you can ruin the drag and anything you lay the reel on.Both my Shimano Charter Special Lever Drag 2000 and my Penn 345 GTI instruction papers advise to leave the drag off and the clicker on when storing.Many years ago I learned from a old Penn reel representative to order or buy a couple of X-tra clicker springs for ALL of your reels when you have the opportunity as they are much cheaper than the shipping on individual orders.I now remove my springs with both hands and the reel inside of a Zip lock bag closed up as much as possible.I also tag all tiny parts with a short piece of bright red sewing thread as I remove them.A simple wrap will do. The clicker spring is the most often lost part when cleaning.I once found one of mine months later when I changed the light bulb in the ceiling fixture.Zebco has excellent "Maintenance" and "Troubleshooting" guides for all types of reels on their website at www.zebco.com :I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

15. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the important reminder. It is easy to overlook preventative maintenance.

16. skyguy

skyguy New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have several good older reels too, and have never added oil to them. What brand would you recommend?

17. This Guy

This Guy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I didn't know anyone else did this. I started using Vasoline about 12 years ago. The first time I ever had to take a reel apart was after a day when I had to dip the reel in the creek a few times to get some mud out. After I had it apart there was no lube left in it, so I just packed it full of Vasoline thinking there wouldn't be room for anything else. I haven't noticed any problems with doing it like this yet, but it's all been fresh water.

18. This Guy

This Guy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Forgot to add that this is on a front-drag spinning reel. I haven't tried this on any of my baitcasters.

19. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Tear all my reels down in January to clean and re-string. It's gets exspensive for the line but I start the season fresh and ready to go. It's a good habit to get into and I know my stuff is ready to go.

20. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Bumping this back to the top. It is that time of the year again. Everyone really needs to be thinking about doing some maintainance on your equiptment.