Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made some changes this year to my setups and I think I have found the combo's that I like. Thought it may be interesting how it compares to others.

Channel Catfish Setup (generally fish up to 20-25lbs)
50 lb braid mainline
60 lb mono leader line
Generally run 6/0 ocotopus offset circle hooks

I increased the weights of this setup this year as I used to run a little lighter mainline and ran 30 lb leader line. I had a fair amount of leader breaks over time. I think because of channels and blues like to roll alot and the abrasion was tearing it up. The increase to 60 took care of that. The main reason for braid is I generally drag in lakes for channels and blues and often let alot of line out. The braid allows me to feel more of the fight at distance and also makes it easier to detect bites when dragging. Not afraid of targeting bigger fish with this setup, but the lakes that have blues haven't had them that long so 25lb is about the max right now. Hopefully that changes over the next few years. I use this setup on the Whisker seeker Carp and Cat rods. The braid on them when a decent fish hits it hard really makes them double over quickly.

Flathead Catfish Setup targeting fish up to 60 lbs
40 lb mono mainline
80 lb mono leader line
Generally run 8/0 or 10/0 ocotopus offset circle hooks

I increased the weights of this setup this year. Never had much of an issue with breaks with this, but the Squall 20 reels still cast the 40lb well and the 80 lb leader just gives some more abrasion resistance.

Registered
This year was my first year just targeting flathead. I had 2 rods setup. Rods 7.6 rippin lips medium action with Abu garcia 6500c3 reels. 65# braided line with 50# mono leader and 8/0 sumo sweeper hooks . I have decided to add a new rod and reel to my arsenal I have a Abu garcia 7000c3 on the way should be here tomorrow 馃榾 it will be going on a MH Madkatz rod I hope. my plan is to spool it with 40# mono . I want this setup just for my heavy cover rod. ( log jam's ) and around bridge piling lots of junk around the bridge I fish. Anyway this is my setup and I'm still learning 馃槍

Registered
Please allow me to be a critic of your channel setup.You say you catch up to 25 pound fish on that set up. How many over 20? give me a percentage. Do you not catch small fish with the setup? Do you get any fight out of say an eight pounder?

I catch a lot of big channel cats in a season with literally hundreds over 15 pounds and some up to that 20-25 pound range. My setup is a 7' Ugly Stik MH with 30# mono and 30# leader with a 7/0 hook. I have a soft enough rod to know when a three pounder hits and enough backbone to fight any big fish that wants to play. I would say one to two break offs per season and that is usually because I let a snell go to long.

I'm just asking because I think you are giving up a lot of fun for a "what if" scenario.

Registered
I pretty much run 50lb mono for everything. Leader and mainline, one spinning setup has 80lb braid. Generally fish pretty heavy cover for flats so i run a tight drag. Will still break aguy off if he aint carefull. Small fish are still fun on em to me.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please allow me to be a critic of your channel setup.You say you catch up to 25 pound fish on that set up. How many over 20? give me a percentage. Do you not catch small fish with the setup? Do you get any fight out of say an eight pounder?

I catch a lot of big channel cats in a season with literally hundreds over 15 pounds and some up to that 20-25 pound range. My setup is a 7' Ugly Stik MH with 30# mono and 30# leader with a 7/0 hook. I have a soft enough rod to know when a three pounder hits and enough backbone to fight any big fish that wants to play. I would say one to two break offs per season and that is usually because I let a snell go to long.

I'm just asking because I think you are giving up a lot of fun for a "what if" scenario.
I fish some lakes that have blues stocked in them. They haven't been in there that long but they are getting up in the 20lb range. Also some lakes have some flatheads in them. Not likely to catch them when dragging, but even with my channel setup there would be a potential to catch up to 60lb flathead.

I get plenty of small fish on my setup. 95% of the fish I catch are probably in the 5-12 lb range. I get plenty of fight out of them. I didn't get a ton of breaks, but I was having more breaks on my 30lb mono leader than I liked. Going to a 60lb leader, I still get as many fish as I did before and I haven't had a break yet. I do think with planer boards you sometimes get more opportunity for fish to roll up in the line than you do if you were anchor fishing.

As an FYI the Whisker Seeker Catfish and Carp rods that I am using are lighter action than a 7' ugly stik as I used to use them alot. You can feel more fight on them than you will on the Ugly Stik.

I don't understand why you are saying that I am giving up alot of fun. As far as "fun" you would feel alot more fight on my setup than I would if I was using your setup as I used to run your setup only with a slightly smaller hook. In addition, you can feel more with braid than you do with mono.

Registered
I only fish for Flatheads in lakes here in Ohio

my casting from the bank rigs have 50lb braid and 12-18inch 100lb mono leaders crimped. Hooks 5/0, 7/0 Kahle

my long drop rigs have 100lb braid with 12-24 inch 100lb mono leaders crimped. Hooks 7/0 kahle

I use 100lb braid on rigs I have dropped 100-135 yards out into the lake. The method to my madness is the heavy braid sinks to the bottom instead of floating on top of the water.

Registered

my casting from the bank rigs have 50lb braid and 12-18inch 100lb mono leaders crimped. Hooks 5/0, 7/0 Kahle

my long drop rigs have 100lb braid with 12-24 inch 100lb mono leaders crimped. Hooks 7/0 kahle

I use 100lb braid on rigs I have dropped 100-135 yards out into the lake. The method to my madness is the heavy braid sinks to the bottom instead of floating on top of the water.
You ever test that I haven't just seems a thicker line would float easier

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

How are you crimping your leaders?

Registered
How are you crimping your leaders?
I am using aluminum crimps matched to the mono OD鈥. I have a couple different brands of crimpers, AWS, Penn, and Jinka. It took me an afternoon to get the hang of it.. I would never go back to knots with any mono 50lb or larger. The hooks are 9/0 Charlie Brown HDs. The mono 100lb Ande monster. The bottom crimp is complete.. the top one needs the tag end mushroomed with a lighter. I am not suggesting my way is better then a knot, crimps just work better for me.

Wood Natural material Flooring Jewellery Body jewelry

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why does everyone seem to use leader much heavier than the main line? If the line breaks, I would think the main would and then you loose your whole rig. But with a lighter leader than the main the leader should break first and you save the swivel, bead's and weight.
Main reason is I like heavier leader for abrasion resistance. On my reels I can't use that heavy of a mainline or it wouldn't cast that well.

I also started pretieing all of my rigs. When I break off I simply tie a new one on and put on a weight. I never did that till recently but man does that save time. This allows me to cut off a little of the mainline where it may be knicked up. Most of the time the main line breaks right at the swivel so you don't really lose that much line off the reel. I would add that a decent percentage of time what gets hung is the weight and when that happens you loose the whole rig anyway. I may actually switch to a dropper loop or use a light zip tie this year to hook the weight on when anchor fishing to see if that allows the weight to break off and I can keep the rest of the rig. I already do that when I use dragging weights.

Registered
All 6 of catfish rods are rigged with 30lb slime line main, 60lb leader, 9/0 or 10/0 Charlie Brown octopus hooks, 2.5oz santee drifter weights, demon dragon magnum or whisker seeker floats, BCF medium light rods with abu c3 6500鈥檚 for trolling for blues up to 100lbs in lake Gaston, nc. I generally use 4 planer boards to cover more water with 1-2 straight out the back.

I have 60lb braid on my BCF striper rods, but I hate using braid. But trolling mini a rigs the braid works better than mono.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts