maine stem Susquehanna River 2008

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by great pappy cat, Apr 8, 2008.

1. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    I thought Id start a new thread for 08.Unfortunately I wasnt able to get financeing for my new Sea Ark:angry:.My little boat will half to get me through 1 more season.I just took my motor in for a tune up today, so as soon as I get it back its on.A good freind of mine got a new tracker grizzley with a 60/40 jet. Other than the fact that he can go shallower and faster than me I still like my boat better. He and I have been fishing brunner island for the last month or so.We have been catching cats, around 10 a night, but just dinks.So far biggest flatty 10#,channel 8#.The big ones are not there or not feeding?? I have high expectations for this season there is some new areas I plan on exploreing.They are a little more risky and dangerous than my current stomping grounds.Hopefully I wont half to call river rescue to get me out of a pinch.I've got to fish where no one else does.Especially if Im going to get the next state record flathead:wink:

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Good luck this year Joseph! I look forward to your great reports and photos! :big_smile: Please be careful! No Flathead is worth drowning over! Too bad about the financing on the new boat but your old one seems pretty nice!

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Good luck this year, Joe!
    40 or Bust!
    Do it for the Eastside!

4. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Good luck Joseph and be safe out there.

5. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Good luck to you Joseph. Those flatheads out your way get bigger and bigger every year cant wait to see what you get this year.

6. great pappy cat

State:
    P.A
    Went out for my boats maiden voyage 0f 08 Fri. night.Weather was bad fishing was good.It rained heavy at times.I was surprised to see that the surface temp was 60 deg:big_smile:.We wound up catching 10 channels averageing 10# with the biggest about 13#.It was so wet that I didnt get out the camera.Conditions were poor so we called it an early evening.Sat was a beautiful day at 1st. I had a blast catching bait at a tailrace I have never fished.The wind started howling as soon as we got on the river. I made a long run up the river in the heavyest chop I have ever had my boat in.By the time we got to the spot we were both soaked.Luckily I had a dry change of clothes.The fishing was on fire despite the wind.My buddy steve had the hot rods all night.I lost track of how many we caught "lots"The average was a little bigger than Fri. night topping out again in the low teens.Still no 20 #er:angry: The wind made it pretty chilly out there.There were some bank fishermen just down river who split ,probably cause of the wind and, left there fire burning.We decided to go use it to warm up then put it out.For me that made the evening.As soon as we got there and got it restoaked. The wind stopped and the river surface turned to glass.We caught a couple more from there then went back out and caught a bunch more didnt get home untill about 6:30 AM.I dont bother to get the camera out unless I think the fish is in the teens.Most of the photos are of steve

Attached Files:

7. great pappy cat

State:
    P.A
    A couple more photos of the fire.I love fire:big_smile:

Attached Files:

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Nice channels Joe.

I wish we could get em like that out here.

Looks like you guys have a good set up there.

Bet you can't wait for the flats to turn on.

9. gerbjello

gerbjello New Member

State:
    york, pa
    nice fish hopefully i will be able to get out next month when i go to night shift.
    i did get out last week for wallys only cought a few but my buddy cought a nice 25'' 5 lb hog

10. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Nice going guy's, it look's like your channel's are as big or even bigger than we have up north.

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    good luck this year hope its a good year for you

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great report and pics Joseph! :big_smile: Not only do you catch hawg Flatheads out of the Suskie, you catch hawg Channel Cats!:cool2:

13. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    AWESOME CATS!...........NICE!

14. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Great fish Joseph what a way to start of the year.Hope to get out myself this weekend.

15. great pappy cat

State:
    P.A
    Im just coming off a 4 day fishing binge.With all the nice weather I just had to call off of work 2 days in a row.Wed. night was steller caught well over 20 channels. Nice quality fish mostly 9-12#.With my biggest at 14.5#.I was by myself so I didnt take a pic of him because I sincerely thought I was goin to get a bigger one. My 20# never did come:angry:.I went to that tailrace I did so well for bait thurs. afternoon. The fish commission came down and enlightened me that I was fishing next to a fish ladder.I got a $70 fine:angry:.I had no Idea the ladder was there. I couldnt see it and I didnt see any sighns?I told the fish commision this and he showed me a sighn stapled to a tree way up on the trail leading in.Really easy to miss.Im sure he gets a lot of people there.Why not post a sighn on the dam where you cant miss it? I guess they would loose alot of money that way. I was chasein chanells with my expensive bait again thurs night. The bite got significantly worse?Wound up with 10 all together alot smaller fish this time. The largest was 10# or so.I was gettin the urge for some real cats so Fri. night I went to my spot that produced so well last year.Fished on the wrong side of the river for half the night.Caught a bunch of small channels but no flattys.Then I decided to try the other shore. The water temp was 12 deg. warmer @ 72.Found the flathead. We got 8 in the boat 2 in the high teens and 1 20# even.Sat night I took 3 people out in my boat I knew I was over my weight capacity.It seemed to float OK?fishing was a little slower we only got 4 in the boat with the largest at 15 1/2#.I decided to try the other side of the river to salvage the night.The wind wind picked up alot as soon as we started to cross. We went over a large wave when the bow came back down it tried to go under the next. A huge wall of water came over the bow into my little boat. It really freaked me out:eek:oooh:. I quickly had them shift there weight to the rear.I turned around and headed for the launch while steve bailed out all the water we took on.It was a wet ride but, we made it back safe and sound. That really had my heart pounding:embarassed:.From now on only 2 people in my boat

Attached Files:

16. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    Great lookin flattys! Callin off sick two days & fishin..................PRICELESS!
    Stay safe on the water..............You got a lot more years of haulin those flatheads!

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Good job Joe, hopefully you can chalk one up for the Eastside soon.

And of course, BE CAREFUL out there! No fish is worth being injured or even die over.

You need a pontoon! Southern Style!

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Thanks for the report and pics Joseph! Too bad about the fine! :sad2: Nice Flatties! :cool2:

19. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Nice fish Joe, thanks for sharing the pics.

20. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Good post Joseph How are you suppose to know there is a fish ladder when you are in a boat.And just how expensive is the bait? Nice pics thxs for sharing.