Main line/ barrell swivel/ Leader line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Fishermancat1, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    Question BOC? I have a rig set up for flatheads. I have 40lb big game berkely as my main line, a barrell swivel that rates to 150lb(black off shore) and 60lb flouro carbon P line as my leader line. So my question is does a stronger leader line increase my chances of the line not breaking when hooked up with a big catfish.

2. KamoKing

KamoKing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You are basically coming back to you main line I do believe there. So in theory your main line would be the one to break first where it attaches to your swivel or the weak spot in the line. I think your main line should be stronger than your leader line. For instance for river fishing I run 100lb mainline, 60lb leader and 20lb to my weight. This way if I hook anything I dont want i.e. barge cables, rocks, etc. I should still keep my mainline. So I would say that if you want to have more pulling power or strength then you would increase your mainline to above your leader poundage. Personally I dont think a 60lb leader would make much of a difference you are still coming back to the weakest link (your 40lb mainline). However I believe mono (i assume thats what your using), creates strength with length. For example a 2ft piece would break before a 10ft piece generally. Just my two cents on the topic. I would increase my mainline.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i agree with rob i want my leader or my sinker to break off not my main line exspeshaly if you was using braid braid is high priced and we all try to save that high doller stuff but if its mono to mono its not quiet as important but if you are using 100 lb mono that can also get exspenseve i use 80lb mono but in my openyun its best to use lighter leader than the main line

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It's just personal opinion, but I think your rig is overkill all the way. Not too many 100+ flatheads out there.

5. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    The heavier leader would be beneficial if are casting 5 oz or heavier weight. It also helps with abraision issues in snags, rocks etc. The down side is, as has been said, if you get snagged and break off, it's the main line thats gonna break and you lose everything from the swivel down.

If you don't normally break off the 40# line, go for it!

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    You always use heaver leader to the main line imho not the other way around but like kutter said that is over kill ;;;;;;you be hard pressed to even try and break that pound test i'am sure your pole would snap in half like a dry twig:smile2:

7. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I typically use the same main line and leader just because I buy big spools of line and keep them on the boat. The good thing about using a lighter leader than main line is that you can break off and not loose the whole rig. Keep this in mind though if you are using 80lb main line and say 30 pound leader you dont have 80 lb test in the fishes mouth you have 30lb. The 30lb can and will break if you have a big fish on and espically if there any snags on the leader. For this reason I dont like a lighter leader than the main line. I would rather loose a few rigs than that one big trophy you were waiting on! If I was going to use a leader different from the main line I would use a heavier leader. The larger pound test mono doesnt seem to cast as well and hold to the spool as good as smaller test. What do you guys think?

8. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    On my rigs my main line is 40 or 50# berkley big game, with a 1/0 barrel swivel, and 50# mono big game as the leader. Leader length varies from 2 to 3 ft. All knots are palamor knots. I uses 4 oz river weights with a bead above the swivel. I use 8/0 circle and 8/0 J hooks. To date this is a good set up even though when you get hung up, it's a mother to break off. However the only thing I loose of value is the weight 50 cents, and the hook. There are several differents ways to rig your setups to prevent loosing your gear, as other members have stated. Do what you can afford, and or what you feel comfortable with. I have confidence that using my setups I will have no problems landing that 80 or 90lber someday with this setup, using the drag correctly. Good luck. Catfish it is true that the heavier the line the less smoothly it will cast and hold to the reel. I've noticed this on my 209, 309 with 50lb mono. However if you keep the line in the reel from knotting and backlashing you shouldn't have any problems landing your fish. :wink:

9. Rockin_Joker

Rockin_Joker New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    this year im going to try 65# power pro, with 50 lb mono leader... with heavy barrel swivel

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    My leader is also heavier than my mainline.

My weaker spot is the mainline but no cat is gonna hurt it unless he drags me into enough structure. I want the business end of my rig to be the strongest ; )

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    That's how I rig braid ( 65# ) too, only I use 40# mono leader cause I can tie it better.

12. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use #65 Power Pro main line with #40 mono leader. I like the mono for leaders because mono can take more abuse than braid. They are both very difficult to break. Always use a good stick to wind up the line with when trying a break off, this will of course save your hands from cuts, but also keeps the braid from digging in to the spool. Good luck.

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra money on flouro for the leader, but other than that, yes - in a way.

The overall breaking strength of the ones on your rig is only as high as the weakest link, but having some stronger line near the fish gives you some protection against teeth, abrasion, etc. I like the leader because it gives me a "handle" when I get the fish close.