Mags

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by chambers bd, Aug 8, 2007.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi,
    Hi I got a 300 weatherby magnum its a real nice weapon,
    do you use a mag? what kind?:big_smile:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    not here I just use my 243 WIN.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Use to shoot a Kleinguenther in 300 Wby. and a Winchester Model 70 in 7 mm Rem.mag.I had to tone them down with hand loads to keep from waisting the meat with anything but a head shot.It use to take big bullets and low charges to leave the meat eatable.The smaller faster bullets pulverized the innards and bloodshot the meat.They worked all right if your deer was Waaaay over there.I hear that they have better stuff on the shelves now.The recoil would most likely tear me apart now even with the KDF which worked great.I liked to hunt with my old military bolt actions at times.Open sights on a 30-30 will take most,but not all deer around here.I bought the 300 in the hopes of a big game hunt in a far away land.Never happened.The 7 mm was at a unbelievable price because"even Winchester couldn;t make it shoot".Best I could tell they never touched it the two times it was sent back to them.Had they removed the action from the stock,they would have seen why it could not shoot to the same place twice.It turned out to be the best "shoot anything in" gun I ever had.I surly miss my guns.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Used to use a 7mm mag myself. I agree with peewee, a lot of wasted meat. Shoot a .270 now.

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi,
    The last three deer I got it dropped them very quickly and the meat around the area shot was no way useable but it dropped. 176 yds 200 yds and 150 yds. The gentry removes 85% of felt recoil so its really nice to shoot. But it did not bother me either way I like magnums.:big_smile:

6. coorsdrifter

coorsdrifter New Member

State:
    Eddyville,Ky
    7mm rem mag,watch were you shoot and you don't waste to much meat.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Even small caliber rounds will waste meat if it's a poorly placed shot. I hit one a little high with a .220 swift one time, and hit the spine. The hole it left was about the size of a basketball, and wasted most of the tenderloins, and part of the front quarter. There was tiny bits of lead splattered all through alot of the meat. It was my bad because I borrowed the gun from a friend, and neglected to take it to the range first. I don't know how far it was sighted in at, but when I did take it to the range afterwards, it was hitting about 5 inches high at 100 yards. I recently bought a .300 win. mag. I know it's overkill for whitetails, but like peewee, I'm hoping to shoot at something larger in the near future. Will have to report back after I get to whack a whitetail with it.:wink:

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I used to use a 300 mag and hunted with a guy who used a 7 mickey mouse only took me one hunt to trade it off . They are meat grinders and jello machines!!! I switched to a 375 h an h now it was slow and lobbed in but you could eat around bullet hole. My favorite is a 45-70 slow but hits like a ton of bricks. The only thing was my 300 was a flat shooter but in my hunting conditions I soon found out I didnt need flat most shots under 150 yards and one of the old anvel throwers did just fine!! I was also scared of being eaten by a grizzly!!:tounge_out:

9. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    I like my rem 300 ultra mag .
    Fast Flat Flamethrower.
    Quick kills
    Downside 50.00 a box shells
    Lot of recoil:crazy:

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    This is where I differ from the herd. I don't think it's possible for a fella to own too many guns; just too much gun.
    I always think about Rooster Cogburn and the 45/70 shot turkey.....still makes me laugh.