Magnets

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Nessie, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know some of you guys use magnets to attach to barges instead of anchoring. What type of magnet is it and where can I find one?

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Don't know about the others I have a couple I use on a few of the old bridges over here, any way I got them from harbor freight co. cheapest I found and they are rated for 300 lbs. I know you don't just "pull" them off with out a grunt or two :wink:

3. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds like that will require effort, Nessie. With effort comes complaining from you. :confused2:

Fishnfwl, you don't know of any that have an on/off switch do you?:roll_eyes:

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
  5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    We have used magnets to attached barges for some years now. We buy ours from Bass Po Shops. They have an eye inb the center to tie a rope. It is necessary to have a screwdriver are other flat object with you to break the seal when you want to remove them.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    That's what I like about this place, I learn something new every day.

7. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Me TOO! :roll_eyes:

8. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    If you start attaching a magnet to moored barges, it might not go over very well with the barge companies. I have heard them(tow captains), more than once say you can't attach to the fleet. It would be a shame to start bad blood with them. Some of the captains can be hard to deal with as it is. Just something to think about.

9. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Beware! If you do use a magnet most push boat Captins don't like catfish boats attached to their barge stacks. It is also illegal to attach your boat to a barge by any means so i have been told, something about ins. reasons.

10. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Who needs a magnet get an anchor winch it's much easier.

11. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    When setting up behind barges a magnet is so much safer than any anchor w/ a winch or not its just to easy to get out of the way if something goes wrong like when a barge breaks loose.:crazy:

12. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I know what your saying I would like to have one even if it is illegal.

13. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    Yea: Laws are ment to be BROKEN

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Yeah, kinda like the "Law of Averages" stating that in the half century you've been out on the water, you would have caught at least ONE fish! Any fish! Bait would count!:wink:
    Alas, some laws can't get broken.:wink:

15. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Thanks for the idea!I was thinking of using some type of sution cup.

16. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I did a quick look and found nothing about the legalities of this. Maybe someone could do some research and let us know if it's legal or not.

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never seen anything on it being illegal. It was a barge hand that suggested using a magnet to me several years back. Most barge captains will sound their horn when they are headed to get the loaded barge. You have plenty of time to get out of the way, if you are paying attention. On the Ohio river at Mounds in Illinois I have seen as many as ten fisherman working off magnets tied up to barges and never any troubles or harsh words. Magnets are the way to go but you will need boat fenders or something to protect your boat from rubbing against the barge.

18. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    Hey Mickey:
    what do i need to do to get me one of those medals you'all proudly display? My wife says I'm a nice guy,and very informative ,could good looks help advance my position?

19. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    The magnets are a very good idea. I don't know of any laws not allowing you to hook up to the anchored barges but I do know some of the Captains are testy like they have been out to sea way to long.:eek:oooh:

The only way that I could even think that they might make the magnets illegal to use is folks started chumming with metal fragments mixed in the bait and then using the magnets to catch the fish.:smile2:

20. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    THat's how I got mine.