Magic Disapearing Blue Gills??

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by puddle jumper, Aug 27, 2009.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ok guys,
    I know this is a rookie question but its been bugging me so im going to break down and ask,, ive been fishing live gills the last couple of times after dark trying to figure the flathead's out, " I do great with blues and cut bait"
    ive been hooking the gills right above the anal fin about 3/4" in with 8/0 gamma's, small cuts down the side for some scent in the water, casting out on a three way rig, leaving it in free spool with the clicker on, 8' to 10ft of water...,

Now for the magic trick,, no runs other than a couple of clicks " like they might be running ", when I check my bait they are gone,, Are the gills getting themselfs off the hook:eek:oooh:,, or is a flathead chewing them off and not getting into the hook, no run, :confused2: and if so how do I deel with a strike that I never comes..
    :big_smile:
    Thanks for the help Guys,,,
    Puddle

2. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Oh,, a extra post to get my post count off that 666 number:eek:oooh:
    Puddle

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i have never had that problem before really. only question i would have for you is: are you leaving the bait out there for a little while after the initial strike? the reason i ask is that a flathead will sometimes hit a bait just to kill it. then circle back around and begin to eat it. could be the reason for the short strike then a halt. another thing i was thinking but i doubt, it could be a turtle or something that could bite the bait right off in a quick bite without hooking them self. truthfully that is just a guess.

id like to hear some other responses too.

4. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Since you are fishing somewhat shallow might try rigging up a float rig and fish it. Then you will be able to see if it really makes a run. I often fish floats tightline style with the clicker on. I think it allows the fish to seem a little more natural.

5. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I am certainly no expert but have found i lose more live baits hooked in the backside than the front. I have tried hooking them below the dorsal and above the anal fins.
    I think it has something to do with the hook hole expanding when in the back and then swimming off or getting taken off easy.
    It seems to me the bait stays longer hooked through the eyes or nostrils.:cool2:

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My first guess was that you were simply casting them off and couldn't tell in the dark, but it sounds like you are hooking them pretty deep. (Actually,3/4 inch sounds a bit too deep to me.) You still could be casting them off, I guess if you are really trying to heave them out there.

My best guess would be that it is not flatheads, partly because they generally engulf a bait, unless they are in a real negative mood, then they just sit and sort of chew on it. Turtles? They will sit and chew a bait off the hook bit by bit without giving much of a bite. Crabs will do the same, but not in NW Georgia. What else do you have around there that could do it?

7. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I know a lot of people swear by hooking under the dorsal, but try a few through the nose, without hitting the brain. They stay on very well and i've never lost a bait. Even after landing a flat it'll still usually be on the hook, ready for another go. I fish bottom too, but with a carolina rig with a disc sinker. I love them.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i like your post, and i think you are right they seem to stay better when hooked through the head, but i don't think they live quite as long or give the same action. Although i hook mine through the back, if i don't loose them when i cast them out, i haven't lost a bait yet. second, i like the Carolina rig the most myself as long as you aren't in a to strong of a current. hard to find 4 oz slip sinkers (at least for me).

9. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    If I were to take a guess, turtle easily come to mind. Although, I don't know if I have ever lost an entire baitfish to a turtle. They usually hollow them out and leave nothing but the empty skull area. :) But, even a turtle usually causes a little bit of bite action. It's not very strong, nor is it very quick...usually. Just that slow pick and release, as they are taking their chunks off.

10. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Have you tried using a sinker slide? I would never go out without them. I think they damage the main line much less than having the weight directly on the line and you can switch styles of weight at any time without retying. You could switch from a 1 ounce sinker to a 10 ounce in 5 seconds. In current, i've had amazing results with disc sinkers. They stay right where you drop them and rarely get snagged.

11. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Five or six times in the last year, hooking gills in the back, 1/2 - 3/4 inch deep they would spaz out wiggleing so much they would fly off the hook in the boat or as I was casting. 7/0 kahles at that time. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it happen.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have seen this happen as well. You an solve the problem with a rubber band looped through the eye and hook over the barb in a weed gaurd fashion.

13. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Iv'e had the same problem in the past..no bite and when I would reel in no bait:angry:I started hookin em below the dorsal fin and on the really big gils in the lip and my bait has stayed on alot better.

14. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    Any way you hook them is easy prey of turtles...But i prefer hooking them thru the nose..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  15. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Thanks for all the thought and input,, I had not thought about turtles but with that being said this is in the tailrace below the dam on the TN river, and in the two years fishing it hard I have not seen one turtle,, not that that might be it, but I have never seen them there:confused2:

I am fishing between a wing wall and the spill gates in the slack water,, kind of like in a open box so for a fish to make a run to open water it has to be tword the boat...
    Sounds like i need to exsperament with where im hooking them to see if that helps, Also like the float idea maybee with a weight below to keep it it the area so I can see the bait movement a little better...
    Thanks guys...:wink:
    Puddle

16. countryboy32c

countryboy32c New Member

State:
    Lansing, KS
    I dont know bout there but here I have had gar do that to me. They just kinda sneak the bait of the hook and its gone.
    Good luck figuring it out

17. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Try hooking them in the forehead. They don't drown. 3/4" is way too deep. The point won't hardly be exposed. You want a lot of hook exposed. Bait fish escape regularly if you put them on a rocky bottom. They'll wiggle in a crack and you won't reel them in. It's worse the farther back you hook them and the more line you give them.

18. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Flatheads don't chew.:smile2:
    These heavy wire hooks also make it much easier for the bait to be casted off, or for it to wiggle off the hook.
    I can't remember the last time a flathead didn't stay committed to his meal. The only caveat is the size of bluegill, if it's a big bg, I have had the bait taken and dropped. Almost like they are trying to make sure it's dead before they swallow it, not a bad idea in my opinion. anyway, maybe your bg is getting torn from the hook, so the nose hook would surely help keep it together.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  19. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I take twice as many gills as I think I,m gonna need.Those little clicks are usually the gill struggling around.IMO-it,s those really active ones that are gonna entice that really big one.As long as I see that line bouncing around a little,I know he,s out there doing his job.Take more bait and check every 1/2 hour.:wink:

20. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    Try hooking them in a few different places...see what works for you...use more of a tightline see if that helps