Magellan GPS

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by plumbertom1, Feb 2, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I have a Magellan Meridian Platinum GPS hand held that I use for locating my fishing spots offshore of S. Ca. it has served me well for this with the memory that it comes with.
    Recently I purchased a Map Send Topo 3D USA software package so I would be able to use it on inland waters (Sacramento Delta area).
    I have not been able to upgrade my receiver to run this product because the cable connector that comes with the not does not plug into my computer. I have tried adapters and the receiver will not accept the connection.
    I tried to contact Magellan about the problem but there service tech had such a heavy accent I could not Understand what he was saying, it could have something to do with my hearing impairment as I have difficulty understanding anyone on the phone.
    Taking this into consideration I used their product support email address that they provide to Inform them of the problem and ask for advice.
    Three days later and they still have not responded. I explained in my email that I would prefer written communications due to my impairment.
    It would seem that Magellan is indifferent to disabled persons.
    I would suggest that if you care about the problems of the hearing impaired that you do not purchase Magellan products.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Tom, you may need a serial/usb adapter http://www.magellangps.com/products/accessories.asp
    Magellan thinks a lot of theirs, but you can get one at a computer supply store. I bought one recently from radio shack to use with my garmin. I think it was about $35, but I had another adapter that was more compact once before, and it was even less. Can't remember where it came from; I let it go with my old garmin.
    Sometimes it takes several days to get a response from some of these people, but I've never dealt with magellan. I've emailed both lowrance and garmin before and always got a response, but again, it may take several days. I find it more effecient to use the phone if I need a quick answer.

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    The first thing I tried was to go to the local electronics/ computer store (Frys) and purchased a serial port to USB adapter cable and hooked it up after running the software that came with it. the computer can find the GPS connection but the reciever will not acknowledge the up date from the firmware. If these people had service techs that had English as their primary language I might be able to phone them.
    Personally I think any service dept. that cannot answer an email within three days while they answer the phones within 20 minutes is indicative of a disrespect for their customers or a very dysfunctional product support.
    Or I suppose it could be that their products a so badly made that they can't keep up with the problems people have with them.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I agree with you on the time it takes to respond to email. It seems to average about 2-3 days with most companies I've used, some never do respond. I dealt with Garmin recently and they responded within a few hours at most. I looked on the Magellan website, and it is not very customer friendly, compared to lowrance and garmin. I either have or have had 2 Magellan handhelds, 3 Garmin handhelds & 1 gimbel mount, and 1 Lowrance, gimbel mount, and I'm convinced that Garmin has a definite edge in the gps department.