Magazines for the V.A. Hospital

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flathead willie, May 30, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I stopped by the Vetrans hospital today to say thanks to some veterans and to take them some of my old hunting and fishing magazines. Every time I go over there the waiting rooms are full of Good Housekeeping, Redbook and Cosmopolitan. The ladies seem to be the only ones taking the veterans anything to read. (No wonder they can't get out of there!) I thought maybe bringing this to the attention of the BOC might relieve this terrible injustice. If any of you have old issues of Field & Stream, Outdoor life, In Fishermen, National Geographic, or, (God forbid) Bass Masters, the vets sure could use them. If you don't have a V.A. Hosp. in your area, I'm sure the nearest General Hospital or retirement home would love to have them. As a matter of fact, the D.A.V. will pick them up and deliver them in most areas.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    You did a great thing brother. Sounds like something many of us can chip and and do.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Billie,

Great idea, glad to see the effort made!

For most Vets, we need to drop off a copy of the VASRD, so they know there disability ratings, and what to say when asked questions by the doc.

This regulation, or law, is worth its weight in gold.

4. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Kool idea brother. i always did wonder if they would let anyone do something like that.

5. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    My new girlfriend works at the VA going to ask her today to take over all my fishing magazines for the guys, good idea Willie I was'nt sure what I was going to do with them did'nt want to throw them out, Thanks.

She works with alot of the cancer patients alot of guys from Vietnam era not a very happy place over there from what she's told me. I don't know how she does it but thank God we have people who can handle doing what she does...

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Hey...

I have a box full of old Woods and Water News, American Rifleman, and North American Hunter mags.

Someone... ANYONE.... PM me with an address and Ill ship em off.

There is no local VA Hospital around me, I do not believe. And since soldiers are scattered, this plans is as good as any.

Sal

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    packed and sent. Done and done.

40+ pounds of good outdoor reading is on its way.

Can anyone match the gift???? Come on.... this is a challenge to YOU, Brothers!!

LOL

Sal

8. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Thank you brother Sal. The guys at the veterans Hospital are gonna love this. Your kindness will come back to you I'm sure. No takers on your challenge so far.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is a grea idea I have 1000's of old out door magazines dating back 50 years, and more they are very interesting..I have If I do remember the first issue of field an stream and outdoor life..I used to be an avid colector...We have a V.A. hospital in my town, I may donate all of them.

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    The guys will love it. There is a catch & release lake at the one here. It gives the disabled vets some incentive to get out of the ward and go fishing.
    Even the out patients need them. Going to the V.A. Hospital here in Salem is usually an all day affair. They need something to read while they are there. I took about two dozen over on Monday. That's all I had because I take them about every other week.

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have some and will be taking them to the hospital,

Good idea

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :smile2: THAT IS ONE GREAT IDEA. I HAVE MANY NAFC MAGS THAT I WAS WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH. HATE THROWING AWAY OR BURNING. NOW I KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THEM. I KNOW THERE IS A OLD SOLIDIERS HOME UP IN QUINCY,IL. I'M SURE THEY WOULD TAKE THEM.DON'T THINK I HAVE A VA HOSPITAL AROUND CLOSE. HAVE TO GET THE PHONE BOOK OUT AND DO SOMECHECKING. THANKS FOR A GREAT IDEA. NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO CARES.

13. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    If you don't have a V.A. hospital near you I'm sure there is a retirement home or a regular hospital nearby. No sense in putting perfectly good outdoor mags in the landfills.