Mag lite LED

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by s_man, Dec 6, 2006.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I just saw adds in Lowes and Home depot for 3 and 4 cell mag lites that are LED. It said they had 3 led lites. Has anyone tried one of these yet? I want to know if they will cast a beam as far as a regular mag lite. And still be bright. They cost double what a regular one costs so I don't know if I want to be the guinnea pig lol.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Walmart sells a conversion kit to change the regular mini-mag to an LED. It costs about $5. I did it. Its a trade off, you lose the adjustable beam for a longer lasting light. Also, the LED isn't much good for "spotting" at a distance.

3. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i got one for fathers day and i love it!! it is better than twice as bright and i havent changed the batteries yet. i bought a reagular maglite in may and changed the batteries about a month ago and the led is still going strong. its worth the extra money!! dont bother with the 3 battery model. have yet to find a 3 pack of batteries if anybody knows where they sell them i would like to know. all i can find are 4and 8 packs. my maglight only has one L.E.D. and i cant amagine how bright a 3 L.E.D. would be.

trust me, you'll want to through your old maglight away! i know i do.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I agree. What the little light is good for, though, is general "area" lighting...hang it overhead like you would a lantern. It's not as bright, of course, but it's adequate for most things, there's no fuel to worry with, and no mantles to change. It makes a great little tent light, too.

Another very handy, high quality light, is the little Streamlite Cliplight. It rules.:smile2:

5. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have the AA model and absolutely love mine! its really bright and casts a beam quite a ways.i'd say they're an improvement over the old ones and worth the extra $.

6. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I purchased both a LED and regular Mag flashlight early this year. ONe is a 3 D battery model (LED) and the other is a 4 battery regular flashlight.

I have used them both quite a bit and like them both a lot. I will say that the LED version is a bit different as it has a bit of a bluish hue/tint to the light that it emits.
    I usually head to the lake/river well before sunrise, so i have used them both quite a bit. I also go campin on occasion and used them as well at night.
    I had to do some brake work on my truck this fall. I was up under it for about 8 hours and had that LED light on just about the whole time i was under the truck...it seems like it is still as bright as it was when i bought it(meaning the new batteries i put in it)....so i would conclude that the battery life may be longer with a LED light.

I can change the "focus" on both flashlights and have had them both down at the river bank fishin at night. They seem to be about equal in their ability to light up objects at long distances.

I still use them both. One i keep in the boat and the other in my truck....i would definitely recommend a LED if the bluish tint does not bother you.

cyas
    rc

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Robert, it is good to hear that the LED mag light works well, the upgrade bulb for the regular mag light, though, is not as bright, does not spot well, and will not adjust. Maybe the price of the LED version will come down as more competition comes into the market.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I may be wrong, but it seems like I remember the package on the mini-mag upgrade stating that the three LEDs were placed in a "flood" configuration.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thanks for the replies. I tried one of the conversion bulbs for my 3D cell mag and all it did was light up the boat, wouldn't light up the shore. So I figured if mag lite made a flashlight specifically for led it might be better than a convert. The longer lasting battery life is the plus in the whole thing. Cause I too have to change batteries in a regular one every other month or so. I get tired of always needing batteries lol. I think I'll check one out.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    There is a flashlight site that I visit once in awhile, and I've noticed that the 3D Led Mag has fared much better in the reviews that the various conversion kits did. People seem to like it. The 2D LED Mag hasn't done so well, it gives up too much brightness.

I think the "3 led lights" is a reference to it being a 3 watt LED in this case. The new Mags use a single 3 Watt Luxeon Star LED.

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    It was probably a misprint shoulda said 3w led. Thanks for the info. I woulda been looking all over for the 3 led one lol.

12. gsbrown00

gsbrown00 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have both the lights and as posted I also prefer the old model for spotting but the LED is a great flashlight it seems to just come down to preference.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    If anyone has the mini mag IMO the three led upgrade is well worth the $$$$