Madison Lake

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by selfishboy22, Apr 30, 2009.

1. selfishboy22

selfishboy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey,

I plan on going there this weekend. It will be my first time ever going catfishing. Any advise on this place and what I should use? I was thinking of chicken liver. I am using my ugly stik combo that is 5'5" with 10lb test line. Also this is going to sound dumb but how do I use a bobber? never used it before. Help me please!!

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have never fished Madison Lake before, but most places right now the fish are starting to move to shallower water. Try cut shad, chicken liver, live creek chubs and bluegill. Any or all could work. I use a bobber for catfishing just like I do for bluegill. If you need to fish deper that normal, use a slip bobber and tie a knot at the depth you want to fish.

Welcome to the BOC. I'm sure someone will jump in that fishes that area.

3. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Try bottom fishing the beach there from dusk onward. I've always had more luck there at night from 8 pm till 11 pm or so. At the north end of the beach there's a small,circular inlet/cove. It can be pretty snaggy (always seem to be a few downed tree limbs in that area) but if you cast your bait (liver works well there) right smack in the middle of that cove chances are good you'll hook into some. And with that short rod and 10 lb test you better hold on tight. There are some pretty decent sized channels there. Good luck!

4. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    good lake for channels,bull heads ( yellow bellys ) and crappie

5. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't underestimate the tried and true nightcrawler, some nights a big ol' gob of worms on my hook is the only thing I'll get hits on.... no matter what you bring for bait, you should take some nightcrawlers for backup.

6. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Good point Larry. Definitely take some Crawlers.They work great at Madison.Especially after all this rain and if you wanna catch Bullheads If you use cut shad you'll get almost all channels.If you use liver at Madison you'll likely catch 2 or 3 channels for every Bullhead. If you use Nightcrawlers at Madison you'll probably catch 4 or 5 Bullheads for every Channel. Just depends on what you wanna catch. Good luck out there!