Made some rope lures & caught some gar!

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by LadyValea1, Oct 9, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Hi...I made a couple rope lures very simple with 3/8 nylon rope a plastic twistee and tied in on a swivel...My 13yo son caught 2 longnose gars about 30-41 inch long. We found a spot on the Trinty river where they are abundant!!! They are fun to catch! It doesn't take much rope to get tangled....we just take our time to release the gars:lol:
    I can't belive my rope lures worked:big_smile:

2. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Can you post us a picture of it,Thanx.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Tina, there are a few die-hard gar fishermen around my neck of the woods that use those rope lures all the time, usually made from white nylon rope, I think. Those gars can definitely give a fight! Thanks for the post.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Actually and old Gucci purse strap will do the same thing with way more style!!!:big_smile: :lol: :roll_eyes: :smile2:

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That's awesome Tina!!! I've made a few myself and used them in a completely gar infested area but couldn't get a bite one. You got any pictures of your lures to share? Maybe I just made mine wrong.

6. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    so when you say gar lure, do you mean you have the frayed rope around live bait, or just the rope itself? how is it fished?

7. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Hey that's great your rope lures worked, always wanted ta give one a try. Your sucess is my ticket ta trying one out. Im'a gonna make one now fer this weekend.... Thankx......

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've a friend that gar fishes below the Falls on the Brazos out of Marlin. He uses the nylon rope lure, but also baits with a big hunk of fish, usually buffalo or what he can get in the cast net. Improves hookups 75% and the bait acts as an attractent.

9. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    OK Y'all,

This is Texas so bear with me cuz you know that everything is big in Texas! You get a Rope, about 25 foot long and make a noose. You stand on some rocks and wait for the gar to break the surface of the water and when you see the snout come out you throw your lasso. If you do it just right, you can lasso it right behind the head and in front of the pecs. It will put up a big ol' fight so you have to tie the rope to the hitch on yore truck. Git in and pull it right out of the water. That's how to "Git er done!"

Just kiddin, my husband's friend thought he was talking about lassoing a gar when he told him he used a rope for catching gar.

10. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas

That is really funny right their "dont care who you are" but seriously how are they desighned ?

11. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
  12. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Is that the same trinity river where they pull out those monster gar? I remember watching a gar catching video where those fellas were pulling out 80 to 200 pd gar and i could almost swear it was the trinity.