Made my first rod holder today....

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by germanmudfish, Jul 30, 2008.

1. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    it was more of an experiment. Used 1/4 inch rod to try the bends. Took about 15 minutes and it looks good. A little light though, maybe 3/8 inch next time. Thanks, for the instruction in the library and reading all your posts. If I do use it, I will tie it off, and make sure I report on how well it performed. Thanks, Ronnie:wink::big_smile:

2. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    let me know how it works for yea

3. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    i use steel 1/4 tube and used a tube bender for mine

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    used a vice and a ball peen hammer. Going to shrink wrap the points that make contact with the rod.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This all sounds very ambitious to me. Congrats on your projects men. I look forward to hearing the results.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    My rod holders are built on 3/8" rebar, and they have been bent. Next time, I'll use 1/2", but if the drag is really locked down, I imagine they'll bend, too.

7. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    how long are yours. I used a 3 foot piece, should I start with something longer?

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I think we've got two different designs...mine use inch and a half schedule 40 pvc to hold the rod. The rebar is the spike that pushes/drives into the bank. The pvc is held by two muffler clamps that are welded onto the rebar.

I really ought to learn my way around a digital camera, shouldn't I?:embarassed:

9. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    1/4 inch rod without a lot of problem, that was my first clue that I was too small on my resources, but it gave me a good idea on the bends I need to make. Now I gotta go find that propane or mapp gas bottle. tee hee hee.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I just remembered something...not too long ago, someone posted that they had a 3/8" Driftmaster bent, and recommended going straight to the 1/2" models.

Btw, I doubt you'll have much luck bending steel with a propane torch. Just not hot enough. You'll need to find an oxy/acetylene rig. Drop in anytime.:wink: