Made my first batch of Bloodbait

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by center12, Jul 17, 2006.

1. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Made my first ever batch of bloodbait this afternoon, can't wait to give it a try this evening:smile2:

I was absolutely amazed at how much bait you can get out of 5 gallons of beef blood. I bet 3/4 of the bucket was clot, I got anxious to give it a go and have already cut it up into chunks. Was planning to get aboriginal with the boy and paint him all up with bloody designs but the wife doesn't seem to share my since of humor.............no Van Gogh for me:sad2:

I may turn into a blood drifter like Mandingo if I'm not careful:cool2:, I'll give a field report before long.

2. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    Have never fished with blood bait before, but you will have to let me know how you do. Good luck and God Bless

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    My best friend used to have an uncle that would set out limblines with that. I have not heard of anyone doing this for years! I went with them one time, on the river just outside of Fredonia. We caught more channel cat in one night than I have EVER seen before!! I can't remember the numbers, but I do remember the boat being FULL in the middle sections between the benches/seats! We had to run them every 2 hours, and the blood would slowly disolve and leave a trail down the current.

I have never seen so many channel cat! I had forgotten all about that technique until I saw the title of this thread, then the little light came on all of a sudden!:cool2:

4. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    Where'd you get the blood at? I've been wanting to try it but never knew where to get the primary ingredient.

5. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    LOL, you could paint him up like the william wallace (Braveheart) of catfishing. Good luck with the bait.:smile2:

6. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    ive been thinging of tring to make my own blood bait thanks for the info hope it works really well post ur results please

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Charlie, I don't know what technique you plan on using with your blood bait, when I use it, I use a #6 treble, I'll have a snapswivel on the end of my bait line, either a threeway for drifting or a plain line, no sinker, for still fishing. I'd run the shaft of the hook up threw the cube of blood, attach the swivel to the eye. I've drifted blood with good results, and it will stay on the hook this way. still fishing I just pitch it in the shallows with no weight, also very effective. I'd keep a supply of blood cubes in a butter dish and freeze them, the more they were thawed and froze, the tougher they got. If you're on the river, you can always pour out some of the juice when they thaw, when I fished the river and anchored up stream from a snag, the Cats would come out quite a ways to get to the bait. Drifting some juice down helped too. Good luck, and let me know how you do.

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

blood bait is good stuff charlie, i used to make it all the time used to get alot of blood from a slaughter house out past ottawa,these some tricks to it but once you get it down you can make real thick,have fun with it though it should bring you some decent luck i would think

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO

Good luck Charlie, let us know how it works. Always exciting to try a new bait.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Blood bait has always been very effective,the only problem is it smells horrible and makes a huge mess.The Nebraska guys when they came to Santee had frozen chunks of it then threaded their leader thru a hole they made with a wooden dowel.That way the bait stayed on better.I think they sun dried it several times and added salt to toughen it .Don't trust my old mans memory but I think there is an article in the Library.I do know drying it and salt will make it way tougher.Jim L makes a good point about pouring off the liquid as a chum line.Unfortunately I believe there were some recent legal changes made, that precludes sources of supply ,like slaughter houses, turkey processing plants etc from selling or distributing blood anymore.Best to check your state laws.:smile2:

11. Catfish Quiver

Catfish Quiver Member

State:
    Ks, w, edg
    Good luck the bait, show us some pics then catfishfever might mix up his receipe,we talk about it (but).

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Went and did a little drifting on Clinton last night, started around 10:30pm and fished till 3am................I ran out of bloodbait(took a small tub):eek:oooh: !!

Brought home 10 keepers from 8 pounds down to 2 pounds, probably caught close to 40 channels last night. I'd say blood and shad worked about the same numbers wise but my "larger" fish were on blood.

I used brown sugar and garlic powder on mine so I didn't find the smell offensive at all, of course it was very fresh. I used a 63# dacron leader and a 2 treble, might downsize to a 4 as long as I don't get to many swallowed hooks

You know it sucks to be wringing wet with sweat and 2 in the morning, but at least there was zero boat traffic(no water lice). Even worse was the fact that I crawled in bed at 3:45 and then got up to go fish Perry at 5:15............will post a report but I'm going to chug a cold one then head for bed. Got another trip to Clinton planned for this evening:big_smile:

13. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It sounds like your blood worked pretty well Charlie. Are you going to make any soap this year? If you do let me know. I'd like to try a few cubes of that out on some coons this fall. Good luck at Perry.

14. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Dang Charlie, don't know what you do for a living, but can you send me an application? I work for the City and I don't get that much time off to fish! HA! :wink:

15. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Jeff, it sounds like it but I do work a lot of hours........12 hour shifts:crazy:

Start my 7 straight days on Thursday, 84 hours in one week, 8 am to 8 pm.
    Nothing but work, eat, sleep for 7 days, the rest of the world disappears for a week(not a bad thing sometimes).

Calvin, hadn't planned on making any but if I can get my hands on some Super shellfish I'll make you up a batch. I bet that stuff would work awesome in a water set............long term scent trail!!

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Charlie, good to hear your blood worked out good for you. If you use a little bigger treble you won't have to worry so much about swallows, easier to remove too.

17. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Ugh! That would be rough! My dad retired from Boeing, back in the day, they used to work hours like that. They would work weeks and months at a time without a day off, 10 or 12 hour shifts. Then in the summers he also worked at the grain elevator in Rock during the wheat harvest. I don't know how he would do it. He would go weeks with about 4 hours of sleep/night.

His coyote hunting buddy used to amaze me too! He worked 3rd shift at Boeing, would come home, feed cattle, load up the dogs, he and my dad would hunt coyotes until 3:30 or 4:00 in the afternoon, and he would be awake the whole time!! Then he would go home, take care of all the animals, feed and Dr. the dogs, eat dinner, visit with the family, sleep for about 3 hours, then do it all over again the next day! Hell, I had a hard time staying awake with a full night's sleep the night before! I would be kind of nodding off while we were driving pastures, and Ed would GUN IT, just to see me jump up in the seat and look like crazy for the coyote! Then he would sit there and laugh at me.

Butthole!:big_smile:

18. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Good luck with the bait! If it works out good, write up a how to!!!

19. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    The bite wasn't as hot last night but, buut the fish were a little larger on the average.

Did find out 2 things, need a larger driftsock and my light boat bobs too much in big waves to use bloodbait. The wind kicked up from the east last night and made drifting the area a little more difficult but it was enough to make me wish for a large sock. The waves were large enough and spaced out enough that my rod ends were moving up and down a couple of feet at a time, the blood couldn't take it very long. I tried #4 trebles but they pulled through the bait to fast so will stick with #2's. I did notice that if I ran the bait a long ways behind the boat I could get longer drifts out of the bait, I'm wondering if using a more limber rod might help dampen the jerking the bait takes. Also thinking I might try a bobber between the weight and the bait, think that might smooth out the ride for the bait.

I did make headway on the fish for my sons birthday/fishfry party:smile2:

Jeff, I used to burn both ends of the candle like that, but it was just too hard on my mind and body...........I'm a big fan of 7-8 hours of sleep. My grandfather was a hardcore coon hunter so I know all about those "truck rides". I do miss my granddad and those hounds. Thanks for the story.

20. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    its starting to sound like the ol' DK is gonna start collecting dust on its lid.:lol: