Made me a good bait tank today

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by crusinman2002, Aug 19, 2006.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey yall... i got a little spunky and made a bait tank today... i was looking at this 45 gallon rubbermaid storage container that i have, and got to thinkin... 10 min. later, i was at walmart getting a bildge pump, and some battery clips... then i went right over to lowes, and i got 6 foot of clear rubber tubing, and some pvc peices...i had a spare car battery laying around... i put it all together and bam... i got a bait tank... so i was at the lake, and got some shad, and i kept them in the tank for 4 hours with only 1 dying... thats perty good... well... i was sitting there looking at it, after spending 10 min. with the bucket getting water in it... i'm going to add a hose attachment on the inlet pipe, with a mesh screen in the attachment... and i'm putting a T in the tubing between the pump and the top peice... on the T there is going to be a valve with a hose fitting at the end of that... then i'm going to grab the 25 foot garden hose and bring it with me... that way, when i go to fill it when i get to the water, all i have to do is attach the hose to the inlet and turn the pump on... its a 500 GPH pump and it seems to have no problem pulling water... i just rigged 25 foot of 1/2 inch rubber tubing and filled the sink up... the pump pulled it all into the tank... and when i go to get the water out, all i have to do is attach the hose to the T and open the valve... that means less work for me... once i get it all done, i'll get some pics up... i just have to get a really good valve, that won't leak, and if it does leak, i'll just put an end cap on it... lol... well... i'm going to get going... just wanted to share.... will put pics up after i do my mods to it.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Ken I am ready to see those pics when you get a chance to make the mods. And remember if you need a place to store it while your away I am close by, lol

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    lol.... well.. i have a storage locker already for all my stuff... now if you are asking to have it while i'm gone, if you buy everything i can make you one... i can give you a list of what all to buy and how much it is and it only takes like 15 min. to make... so let me know... and that goes for everyone... once you see the pics its pretty much self explainitory, but i will post a parts list with the pics so everyone knows what to get to make one.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

No I just meant I would keep it to "test" while you were away. LOL. I wouldn't even charge you a storage fee. lmao. How did you get that in your car?

5. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    as i've said before... lol... i'm the tetris master... lol... but no, really... i just took the traps out and put that in... it takes up less space in the car than the traps, except for the height of it.

6. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Anxious to see the photos as well. Traps?? I thought you were a castnet man ? I was looking at traps on the internet the other day and backed off. They are pricey to say the least. Are yours home made ? Can't be too hard to make one.

7. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    yes... mine are homemade... i use them to get bullhead for when i flathead fish... they are right here in the library...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7038

8. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thanks, Ken. Just so happens I have a brand new roll of hardware cloth ( wierd name ) in the shop.

9. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    ok guys... i got the mods done, and wanted to test them before putting pics up and all... i am having trouble getting the pump to suck up water from the pond at my place, and at the river... it emptys out really quickly though, and all you have to do is attach the hose and let the pump do all the work... i'm going to mess with it tomorrow and see if i can get it to suck water up, cause it seemed like it wasn't even trying today... i couldn't find my camera, and then found it in my car while i was at the river... the batteries are dead and i have the camera charging now... will put pics up tomorrow, and i'll let yall know what came out of the filling mod, and i'll put the parts listing up.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Ken are you hitting Cape Fear tonight?

11. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sounds like a really good tank would love to see some pics because I making one as well for my boat can use the ideas :big_smile:

12. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Im not too sure but am guessing that maybe the pump is not primed. On most water pumps if you dont prime it with a little water they will just set there and suck air. At least that is my experience with water pumps. With that set up I am not sure what the best way to prime it would be.

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I made one similar to what your talking about earlier this year

Check This Thread , Posts 13,14, & 15

If you got the standard Attwood Pump, it is not Self Priming. You have to suck the air out of the lines until you get water into the pump... Basically works like a big siphon system..

14. Keeyaawww, dat is gonna be as much fun to build for me dan to use I tink, had me a similar idea like dat but you got a good head on ur shoulders, let me know when you get da pics up I would like to see dis...again tanks a million...I Gaur-aan-teee.

15. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    ok guys... here are the pics... the one with the batt. clips are a little fuzzy, camera is dead... the batteries that i had in it didn't charge at all, now i'm starting fresh with new batteries... lol... ok... here they are... http://curseyournameracing.com/fishing/baittank/

all i used:
    1 45 gallon rubbermaid storage container

1 attwood 500 gallon per hour bildge pump

1 pvc 3/4" T fittin, 2 ends slide into tubing and the other 1 is threaded for 3/4 pvc

2 pvc 3/4" end plug

1 pvc 3/4" 90 degree bend, both ends slide in the tubing

7 hose clamps

6 foot of 3/4" inner diamiter clear rubber tubing (had about a foot left over)

1 pvc 3/4" hose to 1/2" tube adapter, the 3/4 end is threded to go into the T fitting

10 foot of 1/2" inner diamiter tubing.

you just drill a hole in the bottom of a short side to put the pump in, if you get a container with wheels, put the pump on the non wheel side. install the pump, drill a hole in the center of the top of each short side, put the plug through the hole on the opposite side of the pump, and put the elbow in the other hole. measure out the distance between the sides on the inside, cut some 3/4" tubing to that size and drill 1/8 to 1/4 inch holes 6 to 12 inches apart from eachother. 1/4" holes won't clog as easy, but you don't need as many of them. install the tube, put a clamp on each end. measure and cut 2 peices of 3/4" tubing to go between the pump and the elbow with the T fitting in the middle of the tubing. install that tubing and the T fitting and put the tighten the clamps. than put the plug in the threaded part of the T fitting. clamp on your battery clips. take the hose to tubing adapter and put one end of the 1/2" tubing on and clamp it down. and thats it... now all you have to do is add some water, and hook it up to the battery, and bam... you have a working bait tank that you only put about $60 into and took less than half an hour building. when you go to drain it, just turn the pump off, take the plug out of the T fittin, put the 1/2" hose onto the T fitting and turn the pump on... it will pump water out till the intake of the pump is no longer under water. than just disconnect from the battery and dump the rest.

i couldn't get the pump to suck up any water through the hose to make it easier to fill with water, even with priming the pump.

if you have any questions about it, or how to make it, or whatever, just pm me and ask.

well... thats it for now... l8er yall.

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

looks good Ken:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

17. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Looks like you had a great idea and made it happen. Way to go.