Made it on the Mississippi River!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Manny, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    This has been a big step for me, because i only have a 16 foot jon boat with 20hp motor.

My brother and i have been fishing the Meramec by Flamm City often and catching nothing. We have never ventured out their, although i have seen boats exactly like mine heading out their.

So after a few hours of fishing the point again with no luck we decided to try it for ourselves. I drove out their and did a few circles and got the feel of the current, the we headed up stream about 150 yards. We then tied off ( I have no real anchor) kind of near the inside of an small eddie, and cought nothing.

It was then i figured out, Now im on a bigger body of water and dont know where to even start looking for fish. I did see a couple sandbars across the river but didnt want to try crossing (Yet).

Is any body familiar with this area ?
    Any tips ?
    Which way is better north or south coming out of the Meramec ?

Thanks very green, Manny

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I fish that area quite often, and there are excellent spots both up and down river of the Meramec. For instance you could run down the Missouri bank toward Kimmswick and there are a some awesome holes there, or you could go upstream and fish the moored barges across from the power plant, or fish the new set of wing dykes below the JB bridge. For starters I would invest in some decent electronics, if you don't have them. As for me, I can't hardly fish without them. It's like "fishing blind". Then I would concentrate on finding some depth/structure or anything that will hold fish. As far as your boat goes, you will be fine out there with a 20 horse. Once you get used to running the river, you will know what your limitations are.:wink:

3. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Hey thanks gmvk30, Im sure im fine with my boat i just need to build confidence. Im sure that will come with time. Becaus I dont have an anchor, I have been tieing off to the banks. As for electronics I have a Hummingbird Matrix Im sure its not real high dollar but it does work.

Am i to be looking for dropoffs with structure or both ?
    And i have never fished any of those wing dikes do i fish on the upstream side or downstream side, in the current or on the calmer areas ?

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I would be looking for both depending on what time of day you are fishing. fishing ledges is good for me in the evenings or at night when the fish are feeding. If you find good structure defeinetely fish it. Just because you don't see fish on you screen, dosent' mean they aren't there. Sometimes they hold tight to the structure and the sonar just dosen't pick it up. As far as fishing the wingdykes this time of year, I would probably anchor at the end of the dyke and let your bait drift downstream towards the main channel. Remember, blues like current and deep water. Hope this help, good luck out there.:wink: