Made In America?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by johnstone460, Mar 27, 2006.

1. johnstone460

johnstone460 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hello to you all.
    I enjoy reading this page very much and the info here is great, so I have came here to ask for some help. I was in Omaha this weekend with some family for a weekend get away. I new that they had opend the new Bass Pro shop their so I had to take a few hours and go have a look. After walking their new shop I have to say it looks very nice inside and out.
    On the way home,I couldent stop thinking about what I had saw inside the store,every name brand that I have grown to love and trust for my 26 years on this earth where all made in China.:mad:

Im here looking for fishing gear still made in the U.S.A. I have turned here in hopes that someone can point me where to go.

P.S. I love where Im from and want to spend my money here,not China.

2. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Andy,you've just found the best fishing site on the web.It's a sad fact very little stuff seems to be made in the USA these days.I don't know what your looking for but if you look to the right side of the page you will find Gator Custom Rods.Gator is one of our members here on the BOC and he makes quality rods to meet your needs and they're made in the good ole USA.
    Just make yourself at home and enjoy the BOC.

3. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Welcome Welcome
    With out question you have found the best fishing site on the web and also take a look at the special topic forums,lots of good info and people here.

As for things made in America I just bought some Cajun Red line and Gremlin sinkers both made in America. Rods other than custom made in America I don't know.Reels I think Penn ( non captiva ) reels are made in America but don't quote me in that, maybe others can help with a list of American made products :)

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Andy, welcome to the BOC. You have touched on a subject that has been a major source of discussion in several threads for quite some time! As previosuly mentioned, Gator custom rods are made here in the USA, as are Penn reels and Eagle Claw hooks. I'm not aware of other products that are still made in the US, but hopefully other members will be able to identify more. Maybe that could/should be the subject of another thread?

5. jmon

jmon New Member

State:
    il
    just got a new penn 209 made in china

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Man - now I'm bummed :sad:

7. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
  8. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    What about Plano tackle boxes. Are they made in USA

9. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Get a sinker mold from Do-It molds they're made in iowa, then you can have sinkers made in your back yard, garage, or where ever you deside to make them.. catfish connection has the molds i believe

10. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Don't forget Berkley.........well at least the line I just got is USA made;) I don't know for sure about all their other products

11. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bought a Berkley Big Game rod on Saturday...on the butt of the rod rested a "made in china" sticker which I gladly removed:sad:

12. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Welcome Andy! I'm with you as far as American products,EXAMPLE:why go to Wal Mart and spend $25.00 on a sweatshop Zebco 33 reel when you can go to a pawn shop and pick up a vintage one for about $5.00.Most B.O.C. members will laugh at me for using a Zebco 33 for cattin',but I will say one thing,You can take an American made one to the river,land a 20 pounder and wont have to worry about it stripping out.

13. johnstone460

johnstone460 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would like to thank you all for your posts and info. I plan on byeing at least 2 rods from Gator very soon. Thanks again guys

14. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Andy. Lots of great people here ready to help in everyway possible. Looking forward to reading your post.

15. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    get your check book out for american made rod blanks. G Lomis, some all star, falcon still have a couple of blanks made in usa.St Croix and some custom blank makers some worth the money some not.if your buying at wally world your buying china, if your buying cabelas brands your buying china,if your buying bass pro brands your buying china.berkly rods , made in china. hmm im not sure about shakespear rods.. many will disagree but for reels the best money can buy comes from japan and has for atleast 20 years.if you think something your buying is made in america dont be to disapointed if you check real close and find out that components were made in america but product was asembled in 3rd world.remember NAFTA AND CAFTA are good for the economy.

16. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    American glass, Seeker, allstar, also have blanks made in America. I use American made blanks in 90% of my rods and that is all one peace blanks as most 2 peace blanks are made over seas. Stewart, Afco and American tackle also so make reel seats here as well as some guides and grips. They cost more but are well worth the money.

17. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I buy used, excellent condition Penn reels. You can't go wrong with a Penn reel sized to your needs. There is a ton of older well made (in usa) gear out there.

18. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I am pretty sure Fenwick rods are made in U.S.A., though for a brief period some were made in Mexico!

19. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Hope you have some 8' one piece blanks then...LOL..thanks for your input on this topic Gator!;)

20. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    If you want to pay for them I can get up to 12 footers in a one peace.