Made a Turtle trap

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by TX Fisherman, Mar 25, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    made a turtle trap today, 3" PVC pipe make it a square, put chicken wire on the bottom, i tied a board w/ a ramp that i made onto it, put the bait on the ramp board works well already caught about 20

2. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Can you send me the plans how to make one?

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Do you have any pics, I would like to see it

4. lagarto

lagarto New Member

State:
    Florida
    Most turtle traps I've seen are a wire roll or square cage with a funnel in one end, just like a minnow trap. An easy way to make a small one is, take a piece of chickenwire about 4-5' and make it into a single layer roll 1-2' in diameter, fasten with wire or just bend the cut ends together to hold it in shape , then seal off one end (flatten and tie, just get it closed), for the other end, cut a 2-3' sq piece of chicken wire and bend/roll in the shape of funnel and clip/wire/bend ends so it keeps its funnel shape, cut the funnel hole (where a normal funnel will drain) about 5-6" across...attach the funnel so it is in the trap, will look like a roll of wire with a funnel sitting in it (just like a minnow trap), the idea is to entice turtles to go in through the funnel hole, they can't find their way back out the hole. This works for all turtles except lg snappers, who will tear the trap up. Set the trap in water that is deep enough to cover the funnel hole, but the whole trap should not be submerged (but close!). drive a stake through the rear closed area of the trap into the mud to hold it in place. Bait by punching holes in a can of sardines, hang it in the middle of the trap with a piece of wire, even-with but back from the hole. i bet I've caught 1000 turtles in my life using this sort of trap. If you want big snappers, use the same idea, you'll just need a solid frame and solid funnel-type structure--might be cheaper to buy one* pre-made if you don't already have materials.

Check your state laws, some states require an extra escape door so you can let fish out, some have trap hole regulations, it can get complicated, but I think most states allow it as long as you have a fishing license and meet their conditions. *Memphis net & twine sells traps (big ones) like this already made, but made out of netting.--KS

5. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Lagarto thanks For the good info Ive been looking to make me a turtle trap (cage) .

6. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    the one i made was made of of 4, 4ft pices of 2" pvc pipe make it into a square, now under the square put some chicken wire about 2-4 ft deep, now on my trap the pvc wasnt very floatable so i tied on 4-8 1 gallon milk jugs, put some dog food (i used science diet cuz it was in the house) and put it into a laundry bag (like w/ holes) throw that into your trap, now what i had to do is run to it and pull it in really fast, but the turtles couldnt get out, it cost me $30 and i got 15 turtles before a storm washed it down stream... glue the elbows together but it works and its cheap sooo goood luck!!!

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I've made them out of 50 or 30 gal. barrels, with the top removed cut a few holes in it to let it sink, then put an intertube around it so that it floats with about 8 inches sticking aboue the water, put a board for a ramp with one end ending over the opening. Turtles crawl up the board to sun and then drop off in the barrel and can't get out. You can also set it on the bottom where the depth is right to let it stick out of the water.