Made a stupid mistake on the neuse river in North Carolina

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAYNC, Apr 15, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Last night I went out to the same spot that I caught the 40# flat the other night. At about 8:30pm I has a bite, then it stopped. I put the rod back down in the rod holder and about five minutes later it started biting again. I thought the fish was small the way it was biting so I set the hook kind of a light hookset to what I was used to. Once I set the hook it felt like a snag, I mean the rod bent over like I was hooked to a tree or something. Then the snag started swimming and pulling like crazy. Everything was going fine until the fish pulled and snapped my 40# big game like it was 2# test. I then realized that I had a snag about a week ago and the drag was set to full. I know that whatever it was, was way bigger than the 40# I caught the other night, it pulled like a freight train, and I would have most likely caught it had I set the drag. This is one of those moments that I will never forget. Possibly the biggest fish I have ever seen is swimming the river with a 10/0 gamakatsu octopus, with an 80# gorrilla braid leader hanging out of his mouth. I just hope it was a mouth hookset and not in the gut or anything. I dont want the fish to die, and it possibly might due to my lack of attention to detail. Hopefully tonight the fish will bite again, and I can get my rig back, lol. Anyone ever have one of these experiences. I know I will never make that mistake again. :mad:

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Yep. Lost a 100# + tuna that way back in 1999. Right at the boat, first he broke the rod and then the New 90# leader. I sat down and fought the tears.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    We have all done it.

I try to make it a point on the first cast of a trip to check the drag. I am not as detailed as some people, in other words I don't take out the scale and set the weight, but I make sure I can pull it with my hand without cutting into my skin!! LOL!!

It may not be all your fault. You could have actually been "slightly snagged" in that the line was wrapped on a rock the the line frayed as the fish pulled the line around the rock. This happened to me a few weekends back. I thought I was snagged, then felt the fish pull, but also felt it wrapped around something. Three cranks later it broke free mid line.

I am like you in that I want the fish to live and feel bad that I may have contributed to its peril if it was a bad hook set.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I bet it was a monster flathead. I went to Lock 2 at Cape Fear today and checked things out.

5. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    my friends say i take it too far. they say i am too obsessed with my gear. i dunno. i check my line and leader after every fish. if i feel any "roughness" on it, i replace my leader or retie or whatever is needed. i have already told folks about how i tie leaders and test them before i use them. it's maybe a little "anal" but i havent broke off a fish in 2 years. about the drag, i keep mine pretty tight. i dont think the drag could break 40lb line. i have wrapped a short piece of dowel around my line when snagged and actually pulled the boat enough to break the anchor free before the line would break(30lb line). i think there was a snag or rock or something wrong with a knot or something like that. 40lb is awesome strong.

6. Cat Tale

Cat Tale New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I've had the same thing happen in the cape fear.Turns out it was a gator.Maybe it's good it got away!

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I've had similiar stuff happen to me here on the Meherrin River with huge Channel Cat's. Most of the time they got me in the snag and I couldn't get the fish off of the snag, I've only had my line broke like once. I was fishing with a slip bobber and a live Bream a few summer's ago, well the bobber suddenly popped under the water and when I set the hook my line had got wrapped around the bottom of the reel........Line almost broke but right before it did the hook just popped out! Man I was mad because I know it was a huge fish from the weight of it, I had 30lb Big Game on it and I could barely hold on to the pole.

It sound's like you might have had a big Striper....in my opinion.

Zakk

8. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Jason, it's only a stupid mistake if you didn't learn something. By your post, you learned a valuable lesson. Bad thing about those valuable lessons, they're usually the ones that sting the most. Yep, I feel your pain.
    Rat

9. roncat3945

roncat3945 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hello everyone,
    I am a new member to the forum. On Tuesday nite I also lost a very large cat on 30# test in the neuse due to a less than perfect reel drag setting. While fishing around 8:15pm my reel clicker went off and so did several feet of spooling line. I reached down and grabbed the pole and cranked over to the handle to engage the spool and much to my surprise the fish on was much more than I had expected. My fiberglass pole nealy bent double and the drag was working properly at that time. After several minutes of playing the large fish my partner decided to crank in another of my reels to give up more room to land the fish. Much to our surprise that rod also had a very large fish on that had not even shown any evidence of biting the bait. Well here where it gets really exciting. We now have two large fish on and are trying to land both fish at once. The rod/reel combo my fish was on is a phleuger trolling type reel and a fiberglass rod spooled with 30# test, Very Old Rod/Reel Combo. The other fish was on a Pro Advantage 6 1/2' medium action graphite rod with an Ambassedur 5000C reel spooled with Ande 20# line. After fighting my fish for several minutes I was getting it closer to the boat and it once again made a strong run down and deep. So in the heat of the battle I made a slight adjustment of the drag on my reel. Not realizing that the drag system was a bit less than perfect I adjusted it a bit tighter than I had intended. So with that said, the next run my fish made he snapped the line. While most certainly dissappointed, I had no time to lose crying over spilt milk because we still had another monster on the line. My parter Elton contiued to work his fish toward the boat and we soon landed the huge Flathead into the boat. Well, I had never before experienced such a fish and now I know why people fish so hard for CATFISH. The one we did land unoffically weighed in at 85# at the dock. And the rest of that story would make you either cry in laughter or make your blood boil with anger at how poor some sportsman really are. Well enough about that. You may see a photo of that fish listed under Tammee's post.
    Later, Roncat

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    As far as the line goes, there was no nicks in it since this was the first cast of the night. The fish wasnt snagged up on the bottom, you can usually tell when the line is snagged you can feel it rubbing. This was all fish. As far as drag is concerned I know for a fact that my reels can tighten more than 40lbs. The knot didnt break either, when I got the end of the line back up there was no loops in it, no twists, just a piece of line that looked like you cut it with a knife. I know a lot of people dont believe me but this fish was huge, I had just caught a 40lb flat the night before, and this new fish pulled twice as hard. Last night I went out again, no luck at the same spot but I tried a couple other ones, caught 2 10lb flats. Not too bad of a night.

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Here is the 40lb I caught the other night.

Attached Files:

12. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Well put Rat. I guess we all have made our share of mistakes. *A lesson learned the hard way..

13. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    jay, i aint sayin' it's not possible to have hooked a fish big enough to snap 40lb line it new condition, but in my tiny experience, it would be very unusual.
    think about it like this: try picking up a 40lb dumbbell or other weight(full plate from the gym) with your rod and reel(assuming a knot that will hold 100% line strength). it is almost impossible unless you are using a large(huge) reel and a tuna stick. you mentioned the line looked like it had been cut by a knife and had no rough feeling. when line breaks from tension, it will curl and the line will have a rough feeling where it was stretched to the limit.
    aint sayin' it aint so, i just have never seen a fish break line that heavy without the help of sharp teeth or a snag or a bad knot.

i lay awake and think about being ready when my monster finally decides to try me.......:dribble:

maybe this is the year that i get my 50+....................

14. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    Thats to bad Jason.Ive had stuff like that happen to me to.But i know u will catch another nice one because you seem to have a knack for catching big ones.The picture u posted makes the fish look a lot smaller.(i saw the original picture) Shrinking down the pictures really effects how things appear in the photo.See u on the river!

15. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Last night the big ones didnt seem to be biting but I did manage to catch a 10lb flat a 8lb flat and a 7lb channel. Also caught a 15lb striper on live bluegill. Lost a couple nice ones in the stumps but all in all a fun night.

16. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    yeah, we usually catch a few striper up here in smithfield too. havent seen one this year.

17. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I learned my lesson about power pro the hard way it makes good main line but it's not wrth a sh@t for leaders....busted 50lbs. power pro on a fish at Jordan weekend before last.....something cut it like it was nothing....hope it was a big bowfin rather than a big fish like a striper..

I check my leader after every cast...and I had no knicks but when push came to shove I LOST!!!!!!!(this tme):sad:

18. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i have used power pro on bass fishing. it is extremely strong, but it can be cut by something sharp(rocks) very easy.
    my bro uses it this year for cats(i use ande "envy" 30lb). he tried to use it as leader before i splained to him it aint good for that. he lost a couple fish. power pro also will not hold with a clinch knot(which i detest but he loves). it needs a palomar or double palomar knot.
    i may try it sometime, but i like the shock absorber action on quality mono.