Made a nice haul last night

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Matt Smith, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Went jugging for about three hours. In the first 15 minutes, we put three in the cooler. Wound up catching 23 and releasing 3. The other 20 froze to death before I could do anything about it. Had to stomp the cooler lid closed. Biggest was 11 pounds even on digital scales. We caught all these fish on 16 jugs.

Attached Files:

2. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    Sounds like you had a successful trip. Where did you go? I plan on going out tonight myself and could use some helpful advise if you don't mind sharing. Nick

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Nice catch Matt! Looks like things are picking up in your part of the country!!

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    That's some cold looking fish! lol Now that looks like fun, I don't care who you are!

5. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    Thats a pretty good cacth there. i need to get out soon and run my jugs here in clarksville i usually do pretty well on the Cumberland. you got me wanting to blow the dust off my jugs now :lol: lol i said JUGS hehehe

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like a good day on the water, congrats on the catches.

7. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Great catch, Matt. How deep were you fishing? How many hooks per jug and distance between hooks. And, of course, what bait did you use??

I set out three jugs yesterday, with 4 hooks a piece, seperated by 6' and fishing at about 24'. Use crawdads on one jug and hot dogs on the other. But, had no takers. However, I set them out at about 5pm and only had them out till 8:30 pm. This was the first time I had tried jugging. And, am hoping to learn more as time progresses.

I did catch one small channel cat while drifting, using creek minnows.

Any input would be appreciated.

I am fishing Watauga lake in upper northeast TN. Very deep and cold lake.

8. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Very nice catch. Wish Nebraska allowed jug fishing.

SudDawg

9. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jug at night. My jugs are 1 liter bottles with about six feet of mono line and one hook. I used cut skipjack, but shrimp and large minnows also work well. Throw the jugs in a creek channel. Mine were in 12 - 28 feet of water the other night.

One other note of importance: The skipjack I used the other night had been frozen, thawed, frozen, and thawed again. This makes the skipjack a bit mushy for casting, but it "sluffs" off when put on a jug hook. I think it helps disperse the scent better in a lake situation.

10. Tennfisher

Tennfisher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Matt, congratulations on a great jug outing. Thanks for sharing the particulars.

Tennfisher

11. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Matt , you need to get you a 150-qt cooler,and you could get to fish longer.......

12. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Nice catch Matt, guess I need to get out and do some fishing.

13. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Beautiful string of fish there! Just got into juggin myself with Brian (Bmaultbay) and we have been having a ball. Chasing jugs sure makes time fly by faster. Next thing you know its really late. LOL!

Daryl
    Aftercats

14. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Good job Matt!!!!!! Makes me hungry just looking at them.

15. MOOSE3.5

MOOSE3.5 New Member

State:
    Mid/West TN
    Sounds like a great trip. Congrats!