Made a decision. Now have to make another.

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by anchorpuller, Nov 29, 2008.

1. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    For several years, my husband has been after me to take a gun safety class and learn to shoot. He wants me to get a permit to carry and conceal. I fish alone and a lot of times at night.
    He has finally convinced me.
    I have found a range close to home and an instructor to teach me.
    Now the decision. To learn and start with Dad says to use the Ruger 22. Hubby says to use the glock something.
    What do y'all think?

Attached Files:

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Use the Glock... :big_smile:

Probably what you will end up carrying as well. :wink:

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    here is my pocket gun.. phoenix .22 10shot auto.. light weight small and good feel!! i prefer hand to hand combat but if i have to i can spray hot lead!! :smile2:

Attached Files:

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    As you are just starting,,, the .22 is the best place to begin,, Learn your basics, then you can try out different combinations of pistol styles and calibers, to suit your needs.
    Good Luck,:wink:

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Adam, I like it :)

I have a little .25 but its single action :sad2:

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    who made your .25paul ?

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    You want to use and practice with the pistol your going to be carrying.That 22 looks a little big to be hauling around in my opinion.I carry a glock in .40cal myself but just starting out im not sure a glock would be a great idea either since it really dosent have a safety on it.You may want to look at a springfield xd or for begginners i always like to recommend a revolver say a 357 and shoot 38+p ammo or regular 38 special self defense ammo in so it wont kick as hard.But thats just something to think about,let us know what you decide on.Good Luck
    James

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    The rugar 22 is a sweet shooting piece i'm sure. I would carry the Glock and use the 22 to plink with.

9. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    use what you feel comfortable with over the years i've carried several right now i've been using a 9mm russian makarov there are better i'm sure but it does the job for me

10. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    If you are just starting out, learn with the .22. The lower recoil and muzzle blast will make it easier to learn propper form and shooting habits and avoid flinching, and blinking until you are used to shooting. Then upgrade to the glock, but make sure you practice with it and are confident with it before you carry it. The .22 is a great starter gun. the glock will do no good if you can't shoot it properly.

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yepper, Get your basics ingrained,,,, education, training, form, perfect practice..

then you'll be able to handle anything that doesn't hurt you!!!!!:big_smile:

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    AP, I'm not very knowlegable about pistols, I own a couple but they are just for plinking around or shooting snakes with rat shot when I'm wade fishing or frog gigging. I've worried about you for some time now and I'm glad you have decided to carry some protection. There's just way to many crack heads in the world these days. My recomendation would be a double barrell shotgun. You can tell the warden it's for snakes, no concealed weapons permit needed, and I guarantee that if you shove that in someones face they will take notice. No matter what you decide on just remember if you are going to carry one you have to be willing to use it if God forbid the situation ever calls for it.

13. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Triple 7's. You crack me up. That's kinda what I thought about the flare gun too. :smile2:

I wanted to go shoot today, but was told by my bitter half that it was too windy.
    Tomarrow, I will go with or without him. I'm thinking I'll take both guns and see what I like better to hold and handle. I know I wouldn't use the Ruger for carrying, but like the thought of something a little tamer to learn with. Then the little voice says I need to learn with what I'd use.

Y'all make another good point. Don't carry it if I can't use it (properly) in a high anxiety time. I do believe I could or I wouldn't even start this.

Might have to post my first target to show y'all (If I'm not TOO embarrassed!)

14. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Use what you will carry (hopefully the Glock, my handgun of choice), get comfortable with the feel of it, the mechanics of it, and the recoil of it. Practice ejecting, and loading, and cycling the slide on empty mags without looking. Making shooting it second nature, like an ol habit. Practice practice practice. Good luck.

15. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I would start with the 22 and learn trigger control. If you shoot it enough you will know exactly when the trigger will brake and the gun will fire. Learn the basics with the 22 and master it, then move on thoe the centerfire.

Now that Glock is one tuff handgun. I have a buddy who is a registered Glock armor. He was canoeing down the Ohio river with his brother and their Glocks. He pulled the Glock out, dunked it in the river and pulled the trigger. BLOOP! His brother ask him what he was doing and my buddy said they always said that a Glock would fire and cycle underwater. They were right.:smile2:

I'd take the Glock to the river.
    In the words of Sam Gerard form the movie US Marshals:
    "Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol."

but learn trigger control first.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The recoil is manageable, its that incessant ringing in the ears that kills me.
    Buy some ear plugs.

17. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Make sure you always wear eye protection when shooting that ruger. They never fail to spit powder back in your face thru the action and you dont want it in your eye.

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Uh fellas is it a good idea to be encouraging miss Ap here:eek:oooh:(LOL)

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I shot one for years and never got powder burned? Anything is possible i guess but those lil' guns are some of the nicest made in my opinion.

20. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    The day has finally come to a slow crawl. I did go out and learn two guns and shot the two guns today.
    I liked how easy the Ruger was. I put all nine bullets in the target; two below the center circle and seven at the bottom of the red center...not quite in the red. The gun did jam on the second bullet out. Thank goodness I had someone with me that knew how to handle it. I would have been too scared to get it un-jammed. The bullet looked like someone had taken a small chisel to the end of it when he got the clip out. He said the spring in the clip may have needed oiling. God knows how long it has sat, unused.
    The Glock; first shot out I hit the bottom of the center red circle. It glanced my thumb un-noticed by anyone but me. I didn't know it wasn't supposed to do that and thought "I do not like this gun. It hurts to shoot it." The next shot, the instructor showed me and explained how the slide would slam your thumb if placed incorrectly. Ahh! I see, said the blind man. I didn't hit my thumb anymore and even though it has a bit more "punch" than the 22, I managed to make me a big hole in the bottom of the red center circle. I missed two shots completely. Don't really know why. Instructor said I was pulling up on the gun when I fired those two shots. Just need more practice.
    It was easier to make the target look good with the 40 caliber, but easier to shoot the 22.
    Guess I'll just learn them both and probably carry the 40, when the time comes.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice. It was appreciated greatly.