Made a (bank) rod holder today

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by 223Smitty, May 18, 2006.

1. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have plenty of rebar stakes I make & use for trapping, the one I made this from was 3/8" rebar 24" long with a 4" "T" on top. I added a couple additional 4" pieces at a 45* angle & made 2 "V" pieces out of 1/4" rod. I'll get a can of plastic tool-grip coating to dip the "V"s in for rod/line protection.

This pic shows the top:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/Catfishing/IM001615.jpg

I added a "kicker" to the bottom so I can step on it to push it into the ground, plus it will keep the holder from spinning during a strike. I left it stick-up alittle for the pic, but would mash it into the dirt before use.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/Catfishing/IM001614.jpg

Here's a full-view:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/Catfishing/IM001613.jpg

Smitty

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats a nice rod holder,I was just looking at catfish connection at rod holders,I was gonna make one but I can't weld and everybody I know that can says they will,but for some that has been years ago.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Looks like a good one. Little brother is making some in welding right now as well. Can't wait to see what he comes up with. LMAO

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Looks Really Good, What About Slipping Some Rubber Hose Or Vinyl Tubing Over Them Instead Of The Rubber Coating, J.A.T.:roll_eyes: ,Elliot

5. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    That looks cool. I made one that looks about the same acept Mine had two poles in the ground.

6. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Catfishjohn- If'n you was closer I'd be glad to help ya out. Maybe you can find a kid in school taking a shop class? I've seen some pretty inexpensive MIGs, gasless (uses flux-core wire) for alittle over $100. Granted, they couldn't be much, but for something like this, they'd probably do fine.

Teaysvalleyguy- lol....never know, he might suprise ya :big_smile:

trnsmsn- Thought about it, but thought the dip would be easier & look purdier :crazy:

Catmaster- I had thought about using an old forsale sign frame to start with. Add a couple rodholders on top & a lantern in the main opening with a reflector on the backside......still may give that idea a whirl.

I ran to town & picked-up a couple of rake teeth (farming), to try & make one that would spring. Made pretty much same as 1st one, but used 1/2" rebar for the main-stem of this one. I left it unpainted for pics, thought it'd show-up better. I bought a couple 6' dog-leads at the dollar store, so I can steak the loop under the holder when I plant it in the ground, then clip the other end to the rod. They're the pinch type so they'd be easy & quick to remove.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/Catfishing/IM001616.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/Catfishing/IM001617.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/Catfishing/IM001618.jpg

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Those are all good looking rod holders,you could sell them and make some extra fishing money.I appreciate it,I may end up getting a couple from catfish connection,the 2 I like would cost abt $20 shipping and all,unless I can find them cheaper somewhere else.

8. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Don't give-up on trying to find a buddy to weld a couple up for ya....I probably got $2-$3 in rebar in both of them.

Smitty

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yea im getting ready to make a few out of wood ill s how ya some pics once i get done.

10. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    I was wondering, is there a flat plate or anything on the rebar that in down the ground? I was wondering if you would have to worry about it rotating.

11. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There's an extra leg on it.....look at the middle pic in the top post.

Smitty

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You say each one holds 2 rods,is there 2 of the same pieces for each one,or am I missing something?
    Thanks

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    nice rod holders ya got there!!!good job.

14. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes sir.....each "Y" or "V" (however you see them) on the outerends of the top will hold 1 pole each.

Thanks all!
    Smitty

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    My shipping address is

Scott Daw
    allentown pa 18103:cool2:

16. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Smitty those holders are slick. You don't mind if I copy them do you?
    If you have a patent or anything I might have to pay royalties.
    Thanks for the idea brother.

whatever it takes

Cheez

17. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol....hey, anything I post is strictly to share ideas & you or anyone else is more than welcome to do whatever you like with them. I use others ideas as well, so I figure if I can post a few of my own ....it kinda "evens-out".....kinda like eating a box of twinkies, but drinking a Diet Coke :tounge_out:

lol.....Smitty

18. Quackcephus

Quackcephus New Member

State:
    TX
    I think you boyz are onto sumpin' 'ere... lookin' good!!!

19. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Since there's no patent and I won't have to pay royalties,I may fab some of those rod holders and give them a try.

Thanks Smitty

whatever it takes

cheez

20. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    NICE JOB
    I made some for my boat the back are mounted the front I use to c claps to rotate which side they want to fish from I'll half to make some for shore fishing

a bad day fishing beats a good day of work