Mad at circle hooks! - What am I doing wrong

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Drawout, May 20, 2006.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Ok guys ....i need to know what im doing wrong with circle hooks.Went fishing last night and didnt catch a fish on them.Had several rods bend down but would just let up quickly and resulted in no fish.Please ill take any tips you guys may have thx.

2. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey drawout. If you will give me a discription of how you fish, I'll try my best to figure out your trouble. What hook are you using ( size and style )? Are you fishing for large fish, how are you hooking you bait, are you free spooling or locking them down. How do you tye your hooks. It may be small fish tearing your bait of the hook. Do you keep reeling in the heads of the bait or is the bait tore or shreaded. Circles actually do work better after you get used to using them. I am in my fifth year of using them, ( Gamakatsu and Diiachi) and very rarely will I use anything else. Some times when I am using live bait I will use a J-hook. When I am using live herring or shad on circle hooks and hook them thru the nose, they always end up commiting suicide. They run the hook point back thru there gills some how.

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Experiment, use different lines, try different poles, train yourself to pull on the rods in such a way where there will work for you. Lose some nice fish, spend the time and $$$ so that you can learn how to use them. Get a baitcaster and do the same thing...spend the time & money, train & practice.

Just keep in mind why you are doing this!!

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    What you're doing wrong is using circle hooks. Throw them away and get you some real hooks.

5. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Grumpy please don't take this to heart it's not pointed directly at you, rather the comment in general.

I've been waiting for this response again. I use all types of hooks for various situations and circles as well! Hell if I had problems with something, I would just take the time to figure out why and what I'm doing wrong with it. I've seen these circle hook issues numerous times and I get tired of hearing such lame comments on them of not using them.

The real problem comes with operator error not hook design. So if I had a problem with my boat and stereotyped it that all boats have the same problem for that model than I would be just as pig headed as the rest of the people out there that think this way.

By the way, take some time to investigate the library and use the search feature here and you may not have started this thread to begin with. You will find that your issue has been addressed numerous times in other threads, just take the time to read them.

I'm done steaming about this and sorry if I offeneded anyone. JMO!

6. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Yes i did read the post in the library and they didnt really tell me what i needed to know .maybe its just my stupidity but this site is for posting questions and thats really all im doing i need help not someone griping at me lol .....WIFE does that enough.

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Most of the fish were probally small that is probally the main problem i was using a mustad 11/o circle hook with cut shad and earth worm with abu 6000s and with the line tightlined.

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Try using the search method as well, brought up 16 pages of results for me!:big_smile:

FYI: I wasn't griping at you just trying to tell you to take more time to research.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I side with grumpy. Just my two cents.

10. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Grumpy, AwShucks, you guys are getting it going again, so I once again have no choice but to AGREE!!:0a30: :0a27: :0a37:
    That's all folks,
    Don

11. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    If you think the fish are smaller then I would go with 5/0 hooks. Don't use substandard hooks, they need to be super sharp to be effective. Gammys for me. I've used 8/0 here on grand lake and the dinks are just too small, 1-2 lbs, to hook themselves. Plus my bait is way too big for them so they just pull on it till there is nothing left. I never really had any probs. with circles so all I can say is maybe hook up with someone who uses them and learn from them as I did. Could it be another species of fish giving the pull and let go?

12. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx guys you have been helpful i think ill switch back to kahles.:big_smile:

13. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    maybe your hooks were just too big?11/0 sounds huge. how big are most of the fish in the area?

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Wise descision Grasshopper, You have learned well!!!

15. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I use the 8/0 Gamakatsu circles and have caught very small cats on them and large ones as well. It is crucial that the hook point is exposed! Always use mono or flourocarbon line (no braided) Try to use the lightest weight possible. You can keep the reel in gear or free spool, just don't let the fish run more than a few seconds. When you get a hit start reeling in and give a small yank on the rod to be sure the hook is set. Do not haul up on the rod real hard! I hook em all the time on circles and they work just fine for me.

16. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've never tried anyhting as big as an 11/0 That sounds huge to me. I would just keep practicing.

17. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I use circles at times,"J"s at times ,kahle other times.
    I use a 5/0 circle most of the time up to a 7/0 smallest was on a 5/0 which was about a 1/2 lb largest was 44lbs on a 5/0 circle.
    They just take some getting use to, 11/0 seems a bit big those are proble biger than the fish your trying to catch.
    And as far as using only mono line thats crap I use mono an braided an it makes no difference on hook ups they both work.
    What works for some may not work for others your going to have your diehard "J" hook users an others circles. You just have to decide what works for you.
    Loop

18. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Kahle hooks will never let you down.:smile2:

19. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish above a float, I watch the float go down, I casually pick up my rod and begin reeling it in, the fish sets the hook for me. I've only lost one so far.

20. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Ya got to have this size hook, ya got to hook the bait this way, ya got engage the reel, ya got to not set the hook, ya got to sweep the rod, yada, yada, yada............too many got to's for me!

16 pages of people wanting to know how to use a circle hook right..........is it me or is that a big red flag telling you they may have issues?? My learning curve ain't real steep, but it does go up:big_smile: