mac's river runner

Discussion in 'Boating' started by lendog, Nov 11, 2008.

1. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have a 40 hp and have been thinking of getting one of the "mac's river runners" to protect my prop and skeg since i run the river, does anyone have one of these or heard any negative reviews about them? thanks.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have looked at them myself, but have never heard of anyone using them

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I made one that was similar to Macks... Mine was not as wide, but it sure did protect the boat when going forward....Macks tends to slow the boat down some from what I've heard....I had mine on a 60 merc and was glad that I made it up.... good luck yours if you get it..The included picture is not on the Merc engine... rather, my Honda 90... dosen't fit, so had another one made.. just as a skeg protector... ( I have rock and reef problems..LOL)

Bayrunner Ray

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    nice job, i use a composite prop and wasted a composite prop last year on some rocks but i'd rather waste a prop than a lower unit, i also looked at the mac's prop savers and was a little worried about something getting between the prop and the ring and thought maybe the river runner might be a better option for my needs. thanks again

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I bent a few alum props before I went to the composite... i hit a 55gal drum that was suspended when running in the dark.... two blades were removed in the hit... and would you believe that I had a usuable two offset blades to get back to shore..... I went to the home made riverrunner and the prob stopped.... I liked the composite as it gave me the push I needed to get the boat up on plane, and it did work real well...... got a stainless on my new boat, and it hangs in there well... but I do have to watch for sand bars.....I'm not in the rocks much.. but watch the depth finder mucho....

Bayrunner Ray