Mac's River Runner

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by DuckNurse, Jul 14, 2006.

1. DuckNurse

DuckNurse New Member

State:
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    Have any of you guys used one of these on your outboard?? At $115, it seems like a cheap investment to protect the skeg and prop. But, does it actually work?? Thanks!...

2. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a model B that is new in the box. I bought it for my old 50 hp Johnson and never put it on. I later sold the boat and the motor. I don't know what size motor you have, but if this one works I can give you a great deal on it. I know a lot of guys who use them and they will save you a lot of lower unit and prop problems. However, they are not a cure all. Hit a rock hard enough and you will loose the lower unit and the river runner.

Jeff

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I have not heard of em, so went and just looked em up.. Looks like a cool I idea. Kind of like a Belly plate on a 4x4. From the pic of the one on Cabela's, it looks like you could make make one pretty easily out of alumn from Lowes/Menards though... Also, from this pic, looks to me like you have to drill through your skeg to mount it???

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I had one for about 3 years. It worked great on the Mississippi River. Yes, You do have to drill a couple of holes through the skeg. Last year at the Illinois Gathering (Catstock), I lost mine including 80% of the skeg. Didn't notice hitting anything, and didn't notice it missing till I got home. I have a feeling that it caught on the boat ramp or something.
    As I didn't have enough skeg to attach another one, or the funds, I made my own sort of. I cut out two 1/2 inch plates of alluminum to a shape that would protect the prop even when backing up. Bolt them together through the small piece of skeg still left. So far it has worked out but looks sort of rednecky(is that a word?). I would have had a new skeg welded on but that would cost more $ than I could afford to spend on a 21 year old Johnson 50 hp.

Over all, I would recommend them.

5. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I bought one for $90... and it is worth every penny when you take in consideration the cost of props. It has more than paid for itself already in less than a summers use. You still may hit a lot of stuff with the skeg but it is reassuring to know that you aren't going to bust up your prop at the same time. It is like a skid plate for your prop, it will hit the bottom of the river so your prop won't have to. It is nice to have in shallow rivers. Go for it....just make sure you mount it with about a 1/2 inch clearance from your prop to allow small rocks and sand to flow through without jamming up your prop.

6. DuckNurse

DuckNurse New Member

State:
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    Good idea, never thought about that...

I found one for $98 delivered...size C...I have a 90hp.

7. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    i had one on mine for a couple years...it served its purpose....

downside i found was mph.... i got 4 mph more without it and when topping out at 22, 4 mph is alot

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Made my own out of stainless... It really saved my props with my old boat... kept it when I sold the boat. buy one, you'll be glad you did

bayrunner ray