"Macs River Runner Prop Protector"

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fish a small river in Iowa and always seem to come across shallow rocks, sandbars and logs. I just bought a new 15 hp 4 stroke Mercury and I want to protect it as much as possible. Have any of you guys used this "Macs River Runner Prop Protector" on your motors? I am pretty sure I should invest in one for my situation...i just wanted to make sure it was worth the $90 bucks and was wondering if you guys had any problems with them such as performance or durability or anything like that. Your thoughts are greatlly appreciated.

2. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Todd, can't help you out with the one you mentioned. Is it in any of the catalogs, BP, etc.? I know they have a few different ones that might be more popular, that some of the members may be able to comment on.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i bought one a few years back for my 9.9 mariner for the same reason. they work but if you put one on make sure you always keep the motor straight when going through shallow water or dragging on the bottom. your prop will kick rocks in between the prop and the river-runner and get lodged. had it happen quite a few times to me and bent my prop-shaft like that once. rocks are very hard to get out once lodged in there. i wound up cutting off the river-runner right behind the prop. it still keeps the skeg from sinking into the gravel/sand thus keeping your prop from hitting.

4. spoonkilr

spoonkilr New Member

State:
    california
    i amde one out of rebar--worked good on a merc 25

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Best thing that that I ever found is my "Go Devil".They are made for the swamps,but sell a rock guard that makes it work great.It will run rocky and shallow water,like a dream.Roots limbs,and rocks will jam between a prop and the cavitation plate with a stock foot.peewee-williams

6. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the tips and advice. Not for sure what I will do yet, but I know I will need to protect that prop somehow.

7. walexa07

walexa07 New Member

State:
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    If you are running in lots of rocks/etc I would just run an aluminum prop and replace it as needed. For one an aluminum prop will normally destroy itself w/o damaging the prop shaft. 2nd, I never like the idea of drilling my skeg or other running gear since it weakens it. If you know you are about to be in shallow stuff practice using the shallow drive. Seems to me that if you hit something good even with a river guard on it is going to probably do more damage to the lower unit as a whole than just what would be done to the skeg/prop.

Waylan

8. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I fish shallow water often full of stumps and some rocks.I know the area well but still bump into things often.I go slow(idle speed) most times I'm in these tretcherous fishin spots.I've banged up many props but one thing that helps is to know the water,have yer bud up front to watch,and pull the pin from the motor so if ya hit somthin the motor will pop up.The key is movin slow and havin patience.Ther is still the occasional submerged log just under the water just kinda makin its way down current that a fella may hit in the wide open and knock a motor plum off his boat and and watch it stay running all the way to bottom(never happened to me but heard the stories)So I also use a saftey chain from the motor to the transom.Pylodictis,If my motor were new I would be much more worried and probly spend the hunered bucks.Be safe bro!:rock-big:

9. mississippicatfisher

mississippicatfisher New Member

State:
    Pontotoc, Mississippi
    I been wanting one for mine but didnt know if it would be worth the money

10. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    I had one on my Mercury 4-stroke 9.9 worked pretty good lost some speed from it though. If your looking for one get ahold of me, I kept it when I bought a new motor. This one is not a Mac's but It does the same thing, even offers alittle protection up the back side of the lower unit. I had it on a Merc. and it does not fit my Johnson. I could let it go for $75....this one bolts trough the cavatation plate instead of the skeg....

11. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    I have the Reef jumper version - the one that bolts onto the skeg. Awesome investment. We go up to Lake of the Woods Ontario Canada every year. And I tow my boat up there as well ( from Calif, ya I know, I'm crazy ) and that reef jumper has saved my lower unit / prop many a times. Best 90 some odd bucks I ever spent.