Mac's Daydream

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mac-b, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Mac's Dream is one of may stories in a book called Fish Tales and Other Stories, by Capt. Gus Gustafson.

Mac, the lake's premier Catfish Guide, left his boat dock and headed to a stump filled creek. The trip upriver was uneventful, with only the noise of a few crackling crows heard over the hum of the four stroke engine.

Upon arrival at his favorite fishing hole, Mac readied four rigs. Two were baited with perch fillets, the other two with bream heads. The lines were cast, and the trolling motor was on autopilot. Mac sat back to relax and enjoy the morning with hopes of a few nice cats for dinner.

Fifteen minutes later, he brought a small channel cat to the boat, and then a small blue. One after another, he landed dozens of whiskered catfish, which made him wonder if he would have enough bait to last the trip. Just as he was thinking about moving to a spot that might hold larger fish, a big one tugged violently on his line, and the rod bent toward the water.

To be continued.............

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    To be continued.......:confused2:

Just when it was getting good:smile2:

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man I wanna hear the rest. TELL ME!!! :smile2: Did you catch the next record??

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Don't let Mac. kid ya. 10 to 1 this ain't no daydream. Mr Mac. is good. I wanna see the pics Mac.. or at least moooooooore of "The Story"

Them crows will be the ones to ask. Heheh.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    WHATS THE WAIT ON THE REST OF:roll_eyes: THE STORY

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Mac's Daydream continues.....................

Mac quickly pulled the rod from it's holder. The fish pulled line from the reel and the drag sang from the pressure. Mac said to himself, "Self, I'm glad my new out fit was filled with heavy duty line." As he said that, the fish began to really take off, and didn't stop until it had taken one hundred feet of line. It then began to slowly circle the boat. Mac didn't think it was ever going to stop. It had been hooked for so long that he began to fantasize about being Santiago, the Cuban fisherman who hooked the giant marlin in Hemingway's "Old Man and The Sea". All Mac could think about was landing the fish, weighing it, and spending the rest of his life bragging about catching it!

The fish finally stopped circling, made another run, and stopped. The rod bent double, but the fish would not budge. As in the novel, it was man against beast. Mac began to wonder who had who.

A few minutes later, a second rod had a hit. The old rod went down even more violently than the first one. "Stay with the fish," Mac said to himself. He loosened the drag and let the second fish swim freely. Mac's restful fishing trip had turned into quite a morning. His legs were shaking; he was sweating, and becoming very tired from the fight. He even began to question himself. How could he land two fish, when one was more than he could handle.

He called upon his years of experience and applied renewed pressure to the line. Thinking he might be hung on a brush pile, he motored toward the fish. When his line got tight, he felt a tug. The fish broke free from the hang-up and he resumed the battle.

Mac saw bubbles rising to the surface, a sign that the fish was finally being defeated. He scrambled for his biggest net, and somehow the monster cat swam straight into it. The net stretched and the handle bowed from the weight, as he struggled to get the creature into the boat. He heaved a great sigh of relief when the battle was won. He had landed the largest catfish ever taken on a rod and reel.

As he worked the big cat from the net, he notice that there were two hooks in it's mouth. Apparently, it was so big that it never realized it was hooked when it bit the second bait.

The fish was much too large to weigh on Mac's hand held scales, or to fit in the cooler or the live well. He released the fish with no photos, no one to vouch for it's size, and no one to authenticate the catch.

So how big was the fish? Mac claimed it weighed one thousand, one hundred and one pounds and one ounce. "How did you make that calculation?" someone asked. Mac shook his head and yawned as he awakened from his mid afternoon nap.

Be reminded that small fish have....LARGE TAILS!

7. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    My daydreams always involve Reba McEntire and whipped cream.

8. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    QUSTION.. If you have a day dream and its raining,whats the rain have to do with it?
    smokey

9. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    :smile2::smile2::wink: your not right, good story,thanks ( i think :big_smile: )