MAC'S CATCH ALL

Discussion in 'Mac Byrum's Catfish University' started by Mac-b, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Back in mid May I was sitting in my rocking chair on the rear screen porch at my house, with the ceiling fan going to cool the area having my daily cup of Green Tea. For some reason I got to thinking about all the fun I had striper fishing back in the 80’s and 90’s on Lake Norman. Back then I was mostly a live bait fisherman for the striper’s, but on real windy days I would pull hard baits (lures of all sorts). But, on near calm mornings and afternoons I would change my routine and pull a lure called a ‘Devil Horse’ using a side planer board to get it away from the boat and close to surface feeding stripers. It was an awesome sight to see a ten, or twenty pound class striper nail the ‘Devil Horse’ ! But that action slowly disappeared due to mother nature and over harvesting by fishermen in the early part of this century..

Now back to my thought process. In my mind I was going through all the different kind of lures I had used and most of which I still had safely stored in seven or eight tackle boxes in the garage. What I was trying to do with this mental exercise was to try to figure out what kind of hard bait (lure) would work best for catfish and hybrid bass. But I kept hitting a snag, such as, how are you going to leave a scent trail for the catfish with a lure ? Then it hit me, all catfish, regardless of their species, have thousands of sensors on their bodies, some for detecting odors, sight, touch (barbells) and electrical impulses from movement around them from other fish. Electrical impulses was the key. The ‘Devil Horse’ has two small propeller, one on the front of the lure and the other one on the rear. The propellers would give off the electrical impulses that I needed, but I had another hurdle to jump over. How fast would I have to go using the trolling motor to get the small propellers to turn and would the speed be too great for a catfish to want to chase it down. The answer to that question would have to wait another day.

Then the sixty four thousand question was staring me in the face. How in the world are you going to get a ‘floating lure’ close to the bottom for the bottom feeders. Let me stop right here and tell y’all that the catfish is not the only bottom feeder in our waters, there are Crappie, Bass, Hybrid Bass, Stripers, etc. Continuing with the thought process of getting the ‘floating lure’ down close to the bottom. Like a flash, which really was taking a long time, I said why not use what you have been using for catfish, such as a Santee rig or a Carolina rig or something similar. Now here is what I came up with. I cut me a 44 inch leader (fifty pound test), because that is what I had on hand, and attached it to the Devil Horse and the other end to the swivel which was attached to the fishing line via the swivel. Then I cut me a piece of twenty pound test fishing (12 inches) line and used it for a drop sinker line and attached one of my homemade slinkies which might weigh around 1.25 ounces. I used twenty pound test line for the drop weigh just in case it would hang up, I could break it off and save my lure. A Devil Horse will cost somewhere in the range of $5.99 to $6.99 and a slinky only around $0.50 to a dollar plus. I rather lose fifty cent vs six dollars or so on this kind of deal.

Now I’m all set to try out what I’m now calling ‘Mac’s Catch All', but I will have to wait until the next morning to do it. But in life, there is always a but, I found that I had some chores to do of the domestic nature that morning and I got it done a little after ten bells. I had picked an area for this test that had a ridge that ran from the shoreline over to a large shoal. Water depth was five feet to thirty five and I had cloud cover and a lite wind. First thing to do was drop the Devil Dog over the side of the boat to check out how fast I had to troll to get at least one propeller to turn and I found out real quick that somewhere in the range of 0.7 to 0.8 mph would get the rear propeller to turn and close to 1.0 mph to get both to do it. I went with the slower speed. I had four rigs set up and I made my cast and fed out enough line to get the slinky weigh on the bottom. Before I could get to the ridge line, while in 25 to 30 fow I get a strike and it’s a Crappie close to two pounds. Then five or ten minutes later I get another fish on and it’s another Crappie, but a tad smaller than the first one. I worked the ridge line for a hour and a half and ended up with a mixed bag, of fish, such as the two Crappie, one Large Mouth Bass, one Spotted Bass, two small Hybrid’s (14 to 16 inches), one nice White Perch and a very small sunfish and four channel catfish. After this short outing I was overwhelmed with the results and then it dawned on me, I didn’t catch a single Blue Catfish ! That I had to ponder for a spell.

For the next week or so, I would go out for a few hours each morning trying to fine tune my technique, plus I needed to catch some Blue Cats with the Catch All system. The third outing I started catching the Blue Catfish, mostly because I was fishing where they were feeding, but not in great numbers. Then I added a WylieCat factor to the equation, I added a very SMALL piece of White Perch to the center treble hook and that morning in three hours I put ninth teen cats in the boat and had a few to come off.
    Word got around on the lake what I was doing, some of it from the USCA and scuttle butt from local fishermen that had watched me on the lake and chatted with me. Also I told my old friend Jake Bussolini about it and he thought I was kidding him or I had been messing with mind altering drugs. So it was set up that Jake would go out with me and see what I was doing with the lures. Yesterday, June 19, 2015 was the date set for show and tell. The first fifth teen minutes or so, nothing happen and I had one of those ‘Oh ****’ moments ! Then I hit some deeper water than I had started in and Jake was bringing the fish in. The first three were eater size Crappie. Then the Blues and Channels turned on and at the end, we caught a nice size Flathead, which up to that time, had shown no interest in my Devil Horse’s, and it picked the perfect time to do it’s thing !

Jake is a well know author of fishing books and writes fishing stories for several regional and national publication and he's going to do a write up for two of the publication, which should show me in a favorable light.

Here is a video of the rig and comments relating to the Catch All

[video=youtube;woBhCyTZ6Lg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woBhCyTZ6Lg[/video]

I'm still fine tuning the technique, but this I know. Any lure with a lip on it will not work, small or large lips, they dive and with this set up you only have about two feet from where the floating lure is hanging and bottom, so diving is a no no to me.

If you have any questions, send me a PM and I will get back to you ASAP. Thanks for reading the articles in this section.

cheapNdisgusting and Salthart like this.
  2. bucknbill

bucknbill New Member

State:
    Ms
    Thanks Mac. Any particular color devil horse. Light or darker?

3. bucknbill

bucknbill New Member

State:
    Ms
    Thanks Mac, any preference color for the devel horse. Light or dark colors?

4. mxpres

mxpres Member

State:
    Granite falls
    That's an interesting article,Gives us rookies like myself something to think about .Thanks for the post.

5. Rodpitt

Rodpitt New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Mac-b likes this.
  6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    My buddy, Cliff, tried out the 'Catch All Rig' this morning and here is a copy of his e-mail.

fished catch all lure for 2 1/2 hrs in Hager creek1 channel
    2 blues
    4 spots

cool technique

you are a genius
    :smile1::smile1:

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Cliff tried out the 'Catch All' rig on August 30, 2015 and caught two (19") Large Mouth Bass, one channel catfish, one ten pound Flathead and a 15" crappy in a couple hours of fishing. Another buddy is struggling with it !

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    I have been playing with the 'Catch All Rig' during the drought we just went through, trying to figure out how much line to put out to reach a certain depth at a speed of 1.1 mph.

40 feet of line will let the Slinky weigh hit the bottom at 10', but the lure will be two feet above the weigh.
    Thus 60 of line will be 15', 80' of line 20' and 20' of line will be 5'

Or you can divide the line count via 4 and get the depth where the weigh is touching the bottom, remember, the lure will be two feet higher.

9. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    [video=youtube;rABnbchX4d8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rABnbchX4d8&list=UUSp1-AN-IXrL2av9KDqUgPQ&index=1[/video]

10. Huffy

Huffy Member

State:
    North carolina
    I'm gonna have to build me a few of these Mac nice information

11. Nibbler

Nibbler Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Mark Rorrer
    Bored sittin in a truck stop waiting on my load appointment. Decided to surf the USCA and found this little gem. Thanks professor! I'm gonna try this out while I'm home next week. Mac, you are da man!!

Sent from my P00I using Catfish1 mobile app

Mac-b likes this.