Mackerel for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Patmansc, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    How many have tried mackerel for bait, and what kind of luck have you had?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Mackeral makes excellent bait for big cats! I have caught alot of big Blue's and Channel's on fresh Mackeral cut bait. Definitely is one of my favorite baits. It's just hard to get around here. Also it makes excellent bait for saltwater fishing, for sharks, cobia, etc.

Good luck!:)

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I have to agree 100% with Katmaster, Mackeral make very good bait. I guest that I'm lucky, because getting is a very easy bait to get here.
    :0a23:

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah you are lucky man. It's almost impossible to get it around here. We usually only get to use it for cats if we go saltwater fishing which is about a 3hour drive, and thats only at the right time of the year. Then we have to try to keep them iced down and fresh long enough for us to be able to take them fishing.

But it's definitely worth it, I mean they make superb big cat bait. :)

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Yea Katmaster - all of the Baitshops in this area sell it. :)

(Shaina)

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    You lucky rascal...lol:eek: Man around here we have to catch our own bait, no matter what it is. Well except for worms, minnows. But I dont use them for big cats, nor do I use stinkbait(just a personal preference I guess).:)

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    What can I say (LOL) :know-big:

I get all of my Mackeral & Shad from there. I sometime get my Shad in the water where I fish in, but I can always get it at the Bait-shops.

(Shaina)

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man you got it made. I'm telling ya, see I live in a area that pretty much does not have any other serious fisherman. It's mostly all bass fisherman, not that theres anything wrong with that. But no bait shops carry anything that caters to Catfisherman needs...lol:eek:

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Been usein it for years and swear by it. Of course all ya gotta do here in Jersey is go out on a head boat and get all ya want. Drop in a rig with 5 hooks and ya got 5 mackeral. LOL! Undressed is best cause then ya got the gut pocket. Start at the gills and start steakin it as wide as ya want it. Circle hook through both sides of the dark skin and the rest is history. LOL!

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How about the canned mackerel you get in the store, I would imagine it would be wat to mushy to fish with?

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah I dont think that would work. For one thing, I would think they would have it treated? And I dont think the fish would like that. And they like fresh mackeral, bloody, oily, etc.

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Jack. That canned stuff is best mixed with chopped onions and celery, formed into pattys, fried and served with stewed tomatoes. LOL!

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    LOL! I agree George.:eek:

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Mackeral is good bait for fish or fishermen.When the Spanish were running,I ate them cooked all kind of ways,plus used them for bait,fresh and salt water.The drawbacks are,they are soft fleshed,and they do not freeze well for eating.peewee-williams.

15. bwolcott

bwolcott New Member

State:
    Illinois
    it is a good bait but, i can't get to it as easy either. the canned mackeral is not as good. as a matter of fact i haven't had any luck with it at all. i'm geting ready to start ordering it on-line this year. that could be an option for those like me in the midwest who have difficulty getting hold to Mackeral.:)

16. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Fresh mackeral is the way to go. It is good for channels and blues. I do not get as many with frozen mackeral. I just bought some bait made with mackeral called catmando bait, no refrigeration needed.
    I live about 15 minutes from the ocean and can usually make bait from the pier.

Jaime

17. bwolcott

bwolcott New Member

State:
    Illinois
    what's that and how cn i get it?

18. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    I bought it at Turner's Out doorsman. It is package catfish scent with chunks of mackeral. It is made by some local guy name Ronson Smothers. He also makes dip baits and liquid attractant.

Jaime

19. bwolcott

bwolcott New Member

State:
    Illinois
    can you buy this on-line?

20. svage23

svage23 New Member

State:
    virginia
    how about the salted mackrel fillets. u can buy them in the seafood section of most any grocery store they come in fillets about 6-8 inches long and about 5 or 6 fillets per pack has anyone ever tried them? they run about 4-5 dollars a pack and stink to holy heaven!