Mackeral for bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by DELLIS, Nov 15, 2006.

1. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I was at bp the other week and heard a guy say that he uses boston mackeral for his bait has anybody tried this and have any luck or would this be strictly a p** lake bait which isn't fishing :0a31: :0a36:

2. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi Dellis,

I found some old King Mackeral steaks in my freezer from a trip out on the Gulf, it looked freezer burned, so I though I would use it for catfish bait. I took it with me on a couple of trip but never caught a catfish on it, I did catch a couple gar below the dam. I don't know why they would not bite, unless the freezer burn gave it a bad odor (unpleasant to cats?). I trashed it all after that.

Take Care,
    John

3. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    LOL pay lake thing LOL I have never used that befor but it might be a good bait. I have and still use squid for channels and blues and it works great. but i,m in florida so dont know how it would work up where your at. But i would think it would work good there to. you can get it at any groc. store in the sea food section. I also use bull heads to or as there called yellow bellys , sugar cats etc..... there good for flatheads. Shrimp works good for channels and blues to. try what you heard and let me know if it works.

4. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know a number of folks on the west coast that swear by mackeral - but it has to be fresh. Personally, I've used sardines, anchovies, oysters, clams and just about every kind of freshwater fish as cut bait successfully for catfish.

I don't think it matters too much as long as it is either fresh or very well preserved - like frozen in water or vacum packed and refrigerated. That said, I usually try to use a cut bait from a common forage fish that is local to the water that I am fishing.

Rule of thumb for me: My best successes have come from using some very fresh common local food item for the fish I am targeting - where I am fishing. In other words, If I can catch my bait right at the fishing hole, and cut it up right there and right then, I will have much better success.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have seen a couple of guys using mackeral and read on here that a couple of people use it. I have used finger mullet with success but not mackeral, yet anyway. Good Luck.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I use it on a regular basis with success for channels. Ya need the whole undressed kind for the good bloody guts and what not. Heres a pic of what I do with it.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Mackeral is an excellent bait. I would like to find a source for it here in Indy but by the time it gets here it's all gutted and frozen...W

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I hear that mackeral is a good bait, but I dont where I could get some at, around here.

9. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Do you buy it from the store or do you have to catch it?

10. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    as cathound said here on the west coast its one of the most populer bait their is ,my good buddy bluehunter baged his 84lb blue on a mack head the best part of the mack to use for bait, a few weeks past i was useing a mack head down on the colorado river and had a good run on a mack head and id be sure it was a good size flat(no blues in the river)the flats bite on cut bait this time of the year on the river. the best place to get mackeral is at an asian fish market if you can find one in your area, should be able to get them still frozen. here there about $1.50lb also u should also be able to get them ungutted , also if ya can get them get some bonita even better then mack

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Very good bait. I have caught several flatheads and channels on it on the Ohio River. Thanks to Big George.