Macaw Parrot

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by CountryHart, Dec 26, 2008.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Doctor John, do ya know anything about parrots? I bought my Macaw (Molly) a cuddle bone the other day and it claimed to help wear a birds beak down and supply calcium. I just cleaned her cage and was messin with her and indeed her beak doesn't have the hook of an eagle anymore. Not as bad anyway. My question is should i leave one of these things with her? She destroys every toy i put in with her and even breaks the SS chains they come with. One last question, when should she start layin eggs? Going on 4 yr. old i think and has never laid an egg. Shouldn't have to be with a male just to lay eggs i wouldn't think. thanks jf.

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Country can ya post a pic ??? them are some way cool bueatiful birds!

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Let me look around Brother, i got some nice pics of her,,,i'll get em loaded in a minute or three.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
  5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Man Big C she's purdeey thanks fer sharing!

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
  7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    John. How do John. I did not routinely treat birds. We had an avian vet world famous, just down the street from my shop. He got most everything I could send him.

Keep that cuddle bone in place all the time. Might also help stop some of the cribbing.

Are you intending to breed? The only way to sex these birds is DNA or feather sexing. Saw a lot of birds where the owner thought they were one sex but were the other. She should reach sexual maturity by 4 years. Some will lay others will not.

Gonna give ya two excellent titles. One breeding and the other macaws in general. I assume she is a scarlet macaw.

http:// www.amazingmacawsandparrots.com/breeding.html

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/siste/accounts/information/Ara_Macao.html

See if they help ya.

John.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Neat bird John. Always have like big birds.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks John, i can and will learn more about him/her than i ever expected. Neat links and i'll let ya know what she is as soon as i can have it tested. Again, thanks for your time and effort

10. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    John, a buddie of mine has been breeding big birds for over 20 years, I'll ask him about the laying thing, but I believe they won't lay unless they're paired up... Just not the same as a laying hen....But if you do get some eggs, let us know how they are scrambled or fried !!!! LOL

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    John...I like your bird. I know absolutely nothing about them, but they are cool. I think it takes a special kind of person to keep them. I know I couldn't. My aunt had a mynah bird. Like a magpie, or crow...but with a good vocabulary. Didn't really talk, but it sang alot of different songs. Had a friend that had quaker birds, and double yellow crested Amazons...and another friend with one of those HUGE Macaws...it's vocabulary consisted mostly of 'F' words, so I don't know what happened to that bird. Gotta watch what ya say around 'em. Like little kids lmao. So, anyways....birds, like snakes...I don't usually trust. A Quaker is a relatively small parrot, but they hurt real bad when they bite ya. My finger got crunched by one once. I had to stand there and take it because ya can't just fling the thing across the room. Had to wait for it to thunder before it let go. All the while the little booger was wrenching. Not just a bite...it chewed on me like a pissed off pair of vice grips. I don't hate birds...don't even dislike them. It was just the last time I tried to handle one lmao.

Oh...What does "severe" Macaw mean?

12. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    John, I asked my bud today and he says they do start laying without a mate...at about 12 years old...They're so long lived that it takes that long to mature ....