M&P 15-22

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Redneck in a Skiboat, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Anyone own a M&P 15-22. My son is wanting one for Christmas. I trying to learn more about it before I get him one.

2. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Nice rifle, but expensive. I believe he would have just as much fun with a 10/22, at a lot less money. It is only a 22!!!

3. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    It's going to be hard to beat a ruger 10/22 for versatality and dependability,not to mention the huge array of aftermarket parts that are available to anyone to customize their gun to fit their style,different stocks,barrels,clips,bolt handles,flash supressors,the list goes on forever. They also shoot like a dream and are accurate and won't give you much jamming troubles if any. If you do have jams with them it is usually the clip you are using is at fault,not the gun itself. they also have speed loaders for the higher capacity clips,dump in a box of shells and turn the crank to load your clip in seconds quickly without sore thumbs.

YES I am a ruger 10/22 fan, awesome little carbine or rifle and will last forever.

Sorry no pic but mine is a stainless model rifle with a aftermarket synthetic stock with a pistol grip design and accesory rails,aftermarket carbon fiber shorty barrel a 3x10x40 scope with both a laser site and tactical light mounted,storage in the buttstock area for extra shells a couple 50 round clips and some different 10 round clips,and a bipod that is sometimes on and sometimes off the gun,the whole thing is done in winter camo snow blend(home job thats wearing off) this was my coon hunting gun for quite awhile,but also seen action on dozens of red fox,a few real dumb coyotes that got way to close to me, bobcats,uncountable rabbits,and tons of target shooting. In fact I will usually go for my 10/22 on anything fox size on down at less than 50 yards,anything further out and bigger usually gets the .223 to speak. But as a few yotes found out after being called in at 10 to 20 yards the little .22 is deadly without blowing a big hole through the fur.

4. Redneck in a Skiboat

State:
    South Caro
    Yea, I like the 10/22 too. We have one and a Marlin 60. Both are good guns. The 10/22 is a little nicer because of the clip. I hate loading that tube on the mod. 60. I guess he is wanting the M&P 15 for the look. I wonder if that thing could be converted to .223?

5. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Just an FYI, The "stainless" model Ruger 10/22, the only stainless part is the barrel. The rest is uncoated aluminum. The black models are steel barrels and coated aluminum actions. On our target rifles we drill a hole in the rear of the action to be able to clean the barrel from the chamber side. The advantage is you can use a polish and REALLY make them shine!! AND about any coating on them will work if you want to make then olive, green, brown, tan, black what ever color you can dream of.
    I built a Carbon fiber barrel, Carbon fiber stock, titanium bolt titanium extractor etc.. If there was a light weight part I used it. I got the thing so light it was a pain to shoot and try to keep on target. At 20 yds on a stand the gun would move SO FAR from firing it that it would loose sight of the target.

6. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Your not going to be able to convert it to a 223.

7. Redneck in a Skiboat

State:
    South Caro
    It looks like the Ruger SR-22 might be the way to go. It has the works of 10-22 with the look of an AR-15.

8. Redneck in a Skiboat

State:
    South Caro
    Well we went to check them out today, and all we got was really confused.

The Ruger SR-22 which I liked the best was $485 and has no sights and a 10 round mag. Thats means another $100 or more for sights or scope and a 30 round mag. It was really heavy compared to the others, more metal less plastic. The barrel already has a flash suppressor on it. My son didn't like the skinny clips. Big Deal Right? The best thing about it was its basically a 10/22 with the AR15 look.

The S&W M&P 15-22 was $435. It was light as a feather and no flash suppressor and the barrel is not threaded. It does come with sights and the hand guard has four Picatinny rails for mounting lights, lasers, and maybe a toilet paper holder ( or maybe not). The hand guard with the quad rails just didn't feel good in my hands. The clip was a 24 round and extras or hard to get right now. The clip is bigger than the skinny 10/22 clip.

The Colt M-4 22 was $529. It looks just like an AR-15. It also has a flash suppressor. It comes with a 30 round mag and has sights. It was no doubt the baddest looking one, but when I talked to the shop owner he said he had heard of feed issues with it. My son liked this one best of all. I've searched the web and found some complaints on these.

I thought it would be easy to decide, but know I'm back to square one.