M action rod question

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Catfish_Scooter, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a 7' ugly stik rod stainless eyes im guessin for cats it says its for 6-15 lb line but yall think it could still work pretty good with 20 lb line knowin its toughness?

2. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    It is best to stay within the line rate of the rod. They will cast and give better control while fighting a nice fish. However I know lots of guy will over ride the line rate by 20-30% and get away with it,but they give up a lot on casting.

I

3. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the response man.. Yeah I figured with it being a medium act. ugly stik it wouldve been more like 10-20 lb line. :eek:oooh:

4. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Guess it wouldn't hurt to add a little heavier line, just like you said might knock off a little cast distance.

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    you will be alright:wink:

It sounds like you have a spinning rod?.Doe's it have double handles, with or without trigger? either way its a good channel rod

6. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    just go with 50 or 65LB PP its identical to 12-15LB test, then you have higher, strength, more line on the reel and problem solved

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I just bought one of them at walmart , I really wanted a mh cause thats what i am used to but figured I would try it for channels . I put an abu ambassudor 500 on it with 20 pound cajan and it will cast a country mile . If I dont like the action once I get to fishing with it . I will give it to one of the grand children .

8. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah cajun red is awesome.. just I hate when it tangles around the rod tip when im spooling it on my reels. :angry:

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    It for sure has some memory to it .

10. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    Yes PP will add more strength. However keep in mind if you use it on a lighter set up it can be a bear to break off if you hang up. If you use PP on a med- action set up ALWAYS use a lighter # rate leader so you can break off if need be without losing lots of line.

11. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    That is the one thing I don't like about C. R. line. I tried it but took it off my reels after learning how bad it can coil up. I have gave up on tring new lines bcause of things like that. I have used Trilene for many years and everytime I try a new line I end up going back to Trilene.

12. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep just can't beat the ol spool of trilene. Proven to be good line for years and years.:roll_eyes:

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aaron put the 20# line on the reel and take that med US rod and catch a PB.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    AJ,Use what ever line you feel like,The numbers are really a guideline to the best performance to get with that rod. You may not be able to cast quite as far,but it'll work.

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Richard is right, It is a line rate suggestion,, The rod blank manufacturers give you that for a in between mark,, say yours 6-15 they recommend 10#line for the rod but not over 15..or you could cause damage to the blank..

Most rods are under-rated anyway..If you want some of the best line out there with little or no memory and with a 30#line the size of 17#biggame,:eek:oooh: yep thats right,, theres that much difference between the 2.

Get some P-Line flouro-clear 30lb , Its the strongest/BEST mono lines out there. IMHO:wink: