Lynches and Pacolet Rivers

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by cliff n york, Mar 18, 2007.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i never hear about these two rivers, why not ?

2. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I too would love to hear something. I'm especially interested in a landing on the Lynches just before you get to Bishopville on US 15. I get there by driving 341 from Bethune and taking a left onto US 15 and it's just a little ways down on the right. The landing is at the bridge and the river is narrow but looks deep. I have never seen a boat there even though it's a first class landing??

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Well partly because Pacolet River isn't much to talk about. It has very limited access areas none of which are great catfisheries. Its pretty shallow but it does have two watershed lakes on it Lakes Bowen and Blalock. They cost to much to fish though. Bowen for out-of-county permit is over $150 a year. I cross the Pacolet River everyday I work, I cross it in the Town of Pacolet and for the last month its been very muddy. It merges with The Broad River at the bottom of Cherokee County where Union and York counties meet.

4. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    my buddy used to fish lynches river and we also fish black creek which no one talks about either. My buddy said he quit fishing lynches river because of all the snakes there is a lot on that river and it gets dangerous. black creek on the other side of darlington is a great place to fish for the 3-20lb range on flatties and channels i have not caught any blues out of there yet but i really enjoy bank fishing there at night. where is the pacolet located?

5. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Isn't that the Pacolet that you cross between #9 and Gaffney on highway 105? There is a landing under the bridge and I think it's just a little way (300-500 yards) down the Pacolet to the Broad. I looked down stream and I saw some rocks. Can you get from there to the Broad???

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Yes but its rather dangerous. The river is more of a canoe type river. Its shallow and rocky so I wouldn't be willing to try a jon boat. I fish with some guys that used to fish down through there but stopped because it wasn't worth the trouble.

Pacolet River starts just above Tryon NC and flows southeast to where it joins the Broad River. Most of the access area are gone, pirvate lands with people not willing to let people fish it.

7. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    Travis, i have fished this landing a good bit once it warms up. I have always went upriver (except for a short distance down river from the landing). We caught mostly bream, warmouth, a few redbreast, couple of very small cats, several eels, and saw plenty of snakes and wasp nests. The river depth varies some spots around 10-12 feet but during the months of late May, June, July and August be careful with an outboard. The upper portion of Lynches River from Bishopville up river is pretty shallow this time of year. Overall though if you are careful Lynches River does not have a tremendous amount of pressure on it except for bank fishing right in the bridge vacinity. There are some good deep holes and slow turns that have some nice panfish, especially around the sandbar areas. Hopefully this helps.

8. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Thanks for the great information. Sounds like my kind of place--off the beaten path!! I will try it!

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You should have paid more attention to SC History when you were in high school. :lol:
    Just kidding. They are both relatively small rivers and don't attract the attention that the larger ones do. Could be a best-kept secret, too. :wink:

10. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    The Lynches comes out of NC and separates Lancaster and Chesterfield counties in my area. It is more of a creek than river up here. There is some access from private property and people catch red breast out of some of the deeper holes.

Speaking of history, Gen. Francis Marion and his men's hide-out was at Snow Island which is located at the confluence of the Lynches and Big Pee Dee. I have never been in a boat at Brittons Neck (My mother's family came from there many years ago--Lowrimore) but one of these days I am going down there with my boat and explore, if I find out where to put in.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I haven't been in that area either, but there are some boat landings near there. There is an ongoing effort to develop a driving tour to follow the Swampfox's historical sites, including the area around Snow's Island. I know there are some Lowrimores up that way. Rivercatsc probably knows a lot more about the area.

12. HuntingHound

HuntingHound New Member

State:
    SC
    When fishing Lynches, I prefer to put in at Snow's Lake Landing. There are some nice deep holes to fish for cats. Plenty of cypress to fish around for bream & redbreast. Plus it is only a short run down river to Pee Dee.