Lynchburg VA

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by eaglesfan00000, Jun 4, 2008.

1. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    How many people from Lynchburg, Cambell County doing on the flatheads?
    My biggest so far is only a 15 pounder.

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Tell me where to catch a catfish in Lynchburg and I'm there. Really I have no problem getting there. The fishing here is sucking for me.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    There's been some nice ones caught downtown. The VDGIF did a sampling last year and that stretch of river was loaded with flats and channels. Seen tons of gar myself.

Tried fishing off River Road once and every cast I got snagged, so I quit and haven't been back since. The addiction that is the tidal James didn't help with me coming back either.

But the big flatties are there if you know what you're doing.

4. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I fish some above lynchburg on the james bear big island. there are lots of great places for flatheads around there, plus above the dam in downtown i've never seen a gar. last year i caught flats up to 25 # often.
    chip

5. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's crazy but I see them all the time, usually about 4 feet long with a long nasty nose. They come up to the surface and kind of roll a bit then leave. Maybe they are saying "go away".... no more fishing for you....
    I'd hate to catch one really.

6. Wudman

Wudman New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I layed into 40 inches of gar down on Buggs Island last summer with an ultra-light spinning reel and 4 pound test line while crappie fishing. I was in open water and had the best fight of my life. It was a blast.:tounge_out:

Wudman

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I used to fish Mt. Athos Rd. below Lynchburg at night for cats. The gar are bad down there. I took a bunch of creek chubs and couldn't keep them on the hook for the gar tearing them up. I got a few good sized gar in but I'd rather not!

8. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I've gotten several 25#ers down that way over the years. A neighbor of mine got a 40# and a 44# the same night.

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Billie,

:big_smile:Good to see you around the fishing board. I haven't seen you around since last fall over on the hunting boards.

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    No Kenneth, I'm still around. Just been real busy with the band lately.

11. King Catfisherman

King Catfisherman New Member

State:
    Virginia
    that is a nice one we need to get up sometime so i can see it. Im going to fish the show down next weekend i hopping for one like that:smile2:

12. lewisdavis

lewisdavis New Member

State:
    Virginia
    haven't been doin to good with the flatties, caught about 25lb 30lb blue recently out of staunton river ,didn't have a scale but it was 38" long

13. Flatheadman316

Flatheadman316 New Member

State:
    va
    have only caught one flatty this year so far but he was a true monster weighing around 50 pounds an 39'' long an 20'' around his stomach. can take ya to plenty of good holes. jus gotta have a ride to the spots and back. lol

14. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    With out a good scale. You can always get close to the fishes weight by using the "fish Weight Formula" That way you wont have to guess a fishes weight, and be waayyyy off.

Use this.. Length x girth(squared), Then divide that total by 800, and you'll be close if not accurate to the fishes true weight.