Lynchburg Area James Cats

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by fgjb2k1, Apr 3, 2009.

1. fgjb2k1

fgjb2k1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    So glad to be online finally. Had to beg to get my account approved. Guess it was my name :cool2:. I want to thank the moderators (or whoever approves accounts) for my account. Been lurking for a few weeks. I am so glad to have found this site...

Now, me and my friend are avid cat chasers but have had no luck since I got my first boat here in the Lynchburg area. We haven't been able to go over the winter due to car problems but now that spring is coming in I am chomping at the bit to get out. The problem I have is that I had 0 luck in this area last year. We went to several areas, fished nightime, live and cut bait. Just no luck. I think we caught about three small cats the whole year.

Anyone else fish in this area, if so can I expect big cats here like the tide waters talk about? If so where are they found, the bait I need to use, etc?

I am at a loss. I just hope this season fares better for me...

Thanks

John Brown

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i flathead fish some above lynchburg around big island. there are some nice cats i've caught flatheads up to around 30#. use live gills and fish either woody cover or around the big boulders.
    chip

3. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Welcome to the site .Theres a lot of info on here.Good luck this year.

4. catfishjoey

catfishjoey New Member

State:
    VA/OK
    Use ultralight tackle to cast small crankbaits (rebel crawdads in natural color are my favorite) and beetlespins for bream.... once you've got 4 or 5, try near logjams and boulders- use a fishfinder rig with larger hooks (6/0 to 10/0) and weight that will keep the bream on the bottom ( i use anywhere from 3oz to 8oz egg sinkers) Seek cover, but fish in areas with moderate flow... If the water is stained, don't be afraid to go shallow! That was the mistake I always used to make- I always fished the deeper holes, but sometimes the fish are in 3' of water.... I'm no expert by any means, but i've caught some decent flatheads in the upper reaches of the james... Goodluck!

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, John! :0a25:

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Welcome aboard John. I'm from Lynchburg too, but I don't fish locally for cats. You won't find the size or numbers of big fish around here that you will below Richmond. But I do hear of an occasional big flattie caught above some of the dams here.

7. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    You wont find the size of cats in richmond as you do in lynchburg. You wont find many Blues at all. Mostly Flatheads and channels. I've heard of some nice flatheads int he 40's and 50lb range but there few and far inbetween. I belive you can expect to catch flatheads in the 10-25lb range. Use live bait and be paitent, your day will come. I'm from Smith mtn lake, and normally fish flatheads and stripers here. Tho, I've never fished this area for flatheads in your area, but i use to fish alot for flatheads a lil further up from you in the James from eagle rock-buchannon, and Arcadia. With good luck, nothing monster, but alot of action for flatheads and channels. I do fish your area in a Jet Boat for Smallmouth. My good friend that i fish with, we'll also jig Channel cats using a jighead and either cutbait or crawdads, shrimp etc and have a ball. Alot of times outnumber the smallmouth's we caught, and a 10lb channel on smallmouth tackle in the river is a friggin blast! Slow hopping the jig in deep pools during the day.. Good luck out there..

8. fgjb2k1

fgjb2k1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the input. We have caught a few flatheads but nothing of significance. I will say that live bait has been the best for us so far...

We (me and my fishing partner) are planning a trip to Deep Bottom (I think thats the name). Pretty Excited about that...

Thanks again

9. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    welcome to the board john.

10. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    i fish all the time in lynchburg and i v lived here all my life some real good fishn is up near holcomb rock

11. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I catch 20 to 40 pound flatheads every year here in Lynchburg.
    You just have to find the right hole. I fish where not many fish.
    Big Flatheads hold in these waters, keep trying new holes until you find one.
    . I fish one hole all year and it produces me well/

12. trying to hang a big

trying to hang a big New Member

State:
    virginia
    the cat fishing sucke round my way maybe you can throw some locations my way

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've done a lot of fishing in your area since I've lived in Big Island for 30 years. I also do a lot of SCUBA diving and see some big fish. The best places are usually harder to get to. Above Lynchburg a canoe works out well. Some of the best places on the James are walk in only. Try a lot of different places until you find some that hold fish. Deep holes next to fast water work for me.

14. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to the BOC!!!!!!!

15. bearman3176

bearman3176 New Member

State:
    Natural Bridge
    to catch those flatheads u gotta find logs and rocks use a brim bout the size of your palm on a carolina rig and a 8/0 circle hook should work for ya