Lynchburg Area Help

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by kjacks, Aug 21, 2008.

1. kjacks

kjacks New Member

State:
    virginia
    New to catfishing and looking for some help around Lynchburg. Has anyone had luck for channels above Lynchburg? Reading some old posts, I know Flathead Willie should be the man on this one. Specifically, how about the water between Coleman Falls dam and Big Island dam?? How about Mill Creek Lake in Amherst County? Leesville Lake or Sandy River Reservoir near Farmville? Any info would be great. Thanks guys!! Keith

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, Keith!

:0a25:

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i fish the james between buchanan to the dams at big island. i catch alot of big flats, up to 30#. i do catch some channels up to 10 or 15#.
    chip

4. Oddagus

Oddagus New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sandy River produces lot's of nice channels for me. I usually use slip bobbers and cut bait, bluegill or shad. Sometimes they key in on medium minnows there. I have caught a few on Shad Raps when trolling. I have caught a lot of 6 to 8 LB cats in Sandy, some bigger. Clean water and healthy fish.. I also have caught a lot of cats above Perch Dam. I fish Leesville quite a bit but have limited success, this lake has been my Nemesis for years. Smith Mountain is good for nighttime fishing, Use shad.

5. kjacks

kjacks New Member

State:
    virginia
    Oddagus,

Thanks for the info on Sandy River. Yea, Leesville is tough to fish with all the water fluctuations. I think it has potential, but has been my nemesis, too. Where is Perch Dam? Is that Coleman Falls dam? Thanks.

6. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Between Coleman Falls and Big Island is pretty good. We normally put in at the Georgia pacific ramp and go up to the dam. we catch right many cats there, mixed bag. used to do some fishing down from the ramp towards Coleman falls in the calm water with some success. Creek chubs and warmouths (green sunfish) work best on flatheads and blues. A piece of cut chub or sucker, catalpa worms and helgramites work great for the channels. If you have a jet drive, go up! The next stretch of water above the paper mill is good too. The ramp for that one is at the low end of that stretch. The water is calm for a mile and a half or so upriver. Once you go past the island above the Parkway bridge, it swiftens a little. Ther are some nice pools with boulders up that way. A few woody spots as well. Hope this helps.

7. Oddagus

Oddagus New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Perch is the next one down from the Coleman Falls dam. It can be reached from the Amherst side from 130. past Elon. Pedlar River comes in right above it. I take a canoe upstream towards Coleman Falls and the water gets skinny. I fish below this skinny water for the cats.

8. kjacks

kjacks New Member

State:
    virginia
    I haven't been all the way up too the dam there. I fished that riffle area right below the bridge above the GP ramp. Looks good, but I had no luck last weekend. The water, as I'm sure you know, is very low and clear. I think I can walk/drag my boat past the bridge and get to the dam, though, if you think it is worth doing. Downstream there are some 20 ft. holes and some timber. Is that worth trying also? Thanks for the info. Keith

9. kjacks

kjacks New Member

State:
    virginia
    Oh, its the Holcomb Rock dam. So you mean the water between Holcomb Rock dam and Coleman Falls dam? I know where the Pedlar comes in there, but I didn't know it could be accessed from the Amherst side. Do you just put in underneath that bridge over the Pedlar like 100 yards above where it enters the James? How far up do you go? Thanks, Keith.

10. kjacks

kjacks New Member

State:
    virginia
    Either of you guys fish Monacan Park?

11. Oddagus

Oddagus New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sometimes I put in at the bridge or go up the road a ways. I am not sure how much of the roadside is posted this year. I usually go up until it gets shallow and the water gets a little swift then drift down. I usually catch some Bluegills and use them for cut bait. Any cut bait will work. I have caught some nice fish by using slip bobbers around the trees and logs lining the banks.

12. kjacks

kjacks New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thanks, Kelly!

13. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I do fish Monocan Park a bit, though not as much as I used to. There have been some hefty ones caught in that stretch. I personally like the area around holcomb rock and pearch dam. You'll have to do very little pulling your boat to fish up that way. There are lots of "sleeper" rocks up there though, so be careful. In fact, I may be fishing there tonight. I sold my jet drive and got a 20 foot grizzly with a prop. Down around the park and below is alright. There is some deep water down toward the dam if that's your bag.

14. kjacks

kjacks New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thanks, Berkley. I appreciate the heads up on "the sleeper rocks, too!"

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    All those areas are good. I have a house right at the ramp above the paper mill and have fished all over that area. One of my favorites is just below the parkway bridge.

16. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I know this is an old thread but I have been having an interest of trying out this stretch of river. My main question is putting in at the paper mill launch in Big Island what are the water depths in this area both upstream from the ramp and downstream from the ramp.Also how far in each direction can you run before starting to worry about prop damage from things like shallow submerged rocks? Also are there any landmarks to sort of know when to start treading with caution?I am running a 17 1/2 ft bass/tin rig with a 50 on it. I have always thought that section of river looked like a nice place to fish just as I have gotten older do not seem to be as adventurous running places where I may tear something up on the boat.Interested not only in cats but smallmouth and quality bream fishing as well. Any advice as far as running this section of river would be greatly appreciated from those that have experience there.

17. J_Carter

J_Carter Well-Known Member

State:
    Va.
    I've fished Monacan Park one time. I was fishing the "goldfish mans" tournament. We caught 9 flats that night. The biggest was 19lbs. I fished up a little ways from the ramp and below the ramp. Most of my fish that night came from below the ramp on rock piles in deeper water.