Lying fish finder

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by lmcguire, Oct 2, 2006.

1. lmcguire

lmcguire Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey guys,
    I have a humminbird depth/fishfinder that we use on the river.It has fish Id on it.sometimes it shows a lot of fish, but we try every kind of bait and technique we can think of and cannot get them to bite.Do you think it is just ID'ing trash floating around as fish or are we doing something wrong?We catch more fish ignoring it,and fishing holes flats and structure.
    any tips for using it without the id on and identifying fish would help.I have been told to look for arches,but they are very hard to see with all of the other stuff on the screen.
    thanks,Larry

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Welcome to the B.O.C.!!

Imo I use fish finders to locate underwater structure and cover holes and humps.

So if there is a lot of fish on the screen they could be Asian Carp as there are a lot of them in the MO river.

There are a lot of fish in the river that won't bite on a pole from my experiences that is someone else might have more info to give you.

Good luck and don't catch them all.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Those little fish symbols are nothing more than a sales gimmick. Learn to read the depth finder and you won't need them.

You've got the right idea though - use the sonar to locate fishy-looking spots rather than getting hung up on trying to find and catch a specific fish.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member. I dont know much about depth finders, but Doc or Pete should be able to help ya out here.

5. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Welcome to the BOC:cool2:

BIGCAT GarryEads

6. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Hi Larry and Welcome to the BOC. There are a lot more qualified people on here that can tell you more but it sounds to me like you need to play around with the sensitivity setting on your unit. If you are seeing lot's of junk on your screen you probably need to turn it down some. I'd spend some time experimenting and see if you can come up with a compromise setting that let's you filter out some of the debris and still show the fish arches. I wouldn't use the fish ID at all. The fish you are seeing , if they are fish, could very well be asian carp and if so they are plankton eaters and won't bite on your line. The best thing you can do is to spend whatever amount of time it takes to get to know your unit so you can get the best out of it that's possible. Experiment!

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Welcome to the B.O.C., I don't use the fish symbols @ all. I have the sensitivity turned down low & have it showing the arches but as others have said, I basically use the structure detail to determine where I will or won't fish.

HTH, Elliot

8. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    Welcome to the B.O.C..
    My Humminbird 4 ID worked well for me going 30 mph to the grouper hole, if it beeped and showed a red pixle there were fish there, but in fresh water(carp present in lake) it often showed fies but couldn't get anything to bite. used different units, fishing under a bridge at night, no fish on screen =no bites, fish on screen=fish in boat. Each machine seems to have it's own personality.

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the BOC larry , what type hummingbird do you have ?

mines a hummingbird 535 fish id , when mine marks fish i beleive it for i caught them , but youve got to remember not all fish are cats . here in the ohio river you will find and i have marked spoonbill , and large bait fish iv also marked bass and carp theres so many fish out there youd have to cary a bait shop on the boat .

when catfishing i try to target fish on bottom near structure or if im in no hurry i set up on structure ,humps ,ledges and wait them out.

you can test your find with a live bait fish , lower it under your transducer hooked live it should show up if its large enuf

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Welcome to the BOC Larry!
    Bill

11. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree with Elliot, The best thing to do is turn the fish id off and learn to set your sensitivity to make the arches read correctly.

12. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Personally, I wouldnt say "dont use them at all" because I find my unit to be very accurate, and in circumstances where fish are suspending they are great. If it says Im in 50 ft of water but the fish are suspended @ 32 ft, I can drop a shad on my depthcounter reel to 32 feet and I will catch fish- so having said that I defenitely dont consider it a "gimmick". Sometimes its hybrid/striper, sometimes bass, sometimes cats. But I also agree its extremely important to read the structure, particularly when current is good in rivers and cats are lookin around near the bottom- thats the time I target humps and holes and not bother with suspended fish.

PS- learning to read bow echoes rather than "easy fish ID" type symbols can help you to often times
    ( NOT ALWAYS) distinguish what type of fish you are looking at.

ie- I know when Im looking at gar - everytime I say "hey theres a gar down there" bang we catch him.

13. lmcguire

lmcguire Member

State:
    missouri

mine is a 300tx It is about a 2002 model.
    It sounds like the structure showing is the key to me.seems to be what i have had the best luck with any way.I will try the ideas posted by everybody.There is always something to learn about fishing,and I appreciate all of the feedback and ideas.thanks guys and keep em coming.

14. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Larry.good luck with the fishfinder.im still learning to read mine.

15. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i think what you need to do is turn the fish id off an look for the bow shaps on the bottom that are your big cats on the bottom that fish id will show all kind of thing on it trash an fish the bows on the bottom are fish

16. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Fish ID lies 90% of the time. It reads everything as fish. The ark is a true reading of the fishes back. Judging by the depth and your speed you can get a good idea how big the fish is.
    Steve

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Fish arches come from the sonar signal bouncing more strongly off of the air in the fishes swim bladder. The arch shape is due to the movement of the sonar relative to the fish and doesn't represent the shape of the fish at all.

If you're getting too much junk on the screen to read your sonar display clearly, you need to reduce the sensitivity setting. This lowers the power output and will tend to suppress smaller things like leaves and trash suspended in the water. You'll find that you need to adjust the sensitivity quite a bit while out on the water to get good readings.

18. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga

19. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ain't that the truth. :lol: You have to force yourself to turn those off and just deal with it. It takes some getting used to, no doubt. But you will get the hang of it and start marking fish eventually.

20. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana