lures u use and when u use them

Discussion in 'Northern Pike Fishing' started by Jagal, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I started this thread to see what you guys are using and when you use them. I only have a limited size bag of tricks and am trying to find some new lures to use next time I am up north.

2. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Live bait has always worked the best for me, Hands down. If I'm casting or trolling, the old faithful red eye, the red/white daredevil, a 7 diamond daredevil, or a perch colored rapala. As for when I use them....If live bait doesnt work, then I go to the ones listed above. Anything that spins usually works as well.

3. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    yeah, I have one of a perch colored rapala but never seem to have much luck with it. Do you ever use top water baits?

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Justin, I do not bass fish but i will striper fish. I will cast a Zaire spook. Shad pattern.

5. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I love the spooks ever since I got my first top water strike with them...last summer I tried to get some northerns to strike one but it was getting late in the morning when I had put it on so all I got was one attempt and wouldn't you know I pulled it right out from in front of him. (figures...story of my life) I also like to use a orange green and chartreus colored crank bait. That seems to be the one lure in my tackle box that is truly universal.

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    I like to use the crome krocodile spoon by lur-jensen. I have caught fresh and saltwater fish with the spoon. Anther lure I like to use is the kastmaster in silver or gold color. I read an article about some guy who caught an 79lbs blue catfish on a blue and white kastmaster.

Jaime

7. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I have had some luck with top water bait, But I like to fish pike when the water is choppy, so I don't use topwater that much. When I am using topwater, I tend to use A big popper.

8. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter New Member

State:
    Portage la Prairie, Manitoba
    Justin if it's big pike your after then it's big lures you want to cast out. For the big lures you will want to use a 6.6 ft -7 ft medium heavy or heavy action baitcasting rod. A decent baitcasting reel I like 50 lb fireline with a 12 inch steel or titanium leader (a heavy duty one the cheap ones will get tore up quick!!) For lures can't go wrong with a BIG 6-7" inline bucktail spinner.Do a search for Bulldawg lures I like the BIG 12-14" ones (they look crazy but pull into a big windblown bay a chuck one of those and you will catch a big pike) A 9" suick or a super shad rap firetiger pattern. Big rattl traps. The best time to fish big pike is in the sping and fall when they are in the shallow bays look for bays with some kind of water inflow at the back end and ones that are close to deep water keep in mind that a large pike will think nothing of eating a 5 lb fish so use a large lure with confidence even if you think it's too big. Smaller pike can be caught all summer around weeds and rocks.Hope this helps a little! :)

9. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Not only am I after the big pike but the more aggressive cousins the Musky (my favorite fish of all time) I don't get much of a chance to catch those though. Anyways, other than my faithful little 3' crankbait I like to use about a 6 or 7" traditional Rapala if not live bait.