Lures for Channelcats

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by orion_xxvx, Mar 13, 2008.

1. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I have had luck on summer evenings just before dark catching channel cat on jitterbugs frog pattern. And during spring will usually catch several on crappie jigs.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Over the years I have caught some cats on lures. An orange rooster tail has caught me several good channels and A top water rapala has landed a few as well. I saw 2 bass fishermen land a 30# Flathead on a top water buzz-bait. I prefer to use live or cut baits though.:crazy:

3. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I've caught eater size Channels on floating Rapalas. Usually right at dusk.

4. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I've gotten them on jigs croppie fishing

5. LakeHoustoncatkiller

LakeHoustoncatkiller New Member

State:
    TX
    I catch them regularly while I am crappie fishing with jigs. Seems the color that produces most consistently for cats is red head/chartruse body/white tail. I have also caught a couple blue cats and a few channels on beetle spins, and in line spinners.

6. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I caught a few channel cats (eater size) with jigs. I did have a moster once take a jig but I knew I had no shot at him because I was fishing with 4# line for crappie. He was under a tree and right before I was taking it out of the water he hit it. No shot at all.

7. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have caught a few with a flyrod and the flooting poppers at dusk on ponds. I have also broke Two flyrods doing this. If you get anything with any size you have a hand full, but it is a blast.

8. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    My go-to lure for cats is a white rattling crankbait. Bump it off the bottom if you can get it that deep.

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I have caught a few (But not many) Channel Cats on dark colored Jigs when fishing for Ba$$. :confused2:
    :wink:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try useing a Manns 20+ and 30+ crawdad crankbait. Works great.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have caught channels and small flatheads in brush on a red and white tube. my brother hooked into a really nice flathead on a sassy shad, but that fight didn't last very long.

12. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    this morning on tv wally marshall caught one on a roadrunner while crappie fishing

13. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    we were out on a bass fishing trip a got to digging around in my buddies baits and found some pumkin flavored crawdad jigs. ended up with 2 small flatheads and 3 channels. i had a blast, i thought that first flathead was going to be the biggest bass of my life.:tounge_out:

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive caught some with lures but it wasnt on purpose.When using lures i dont target cats but sometimes i get lucky.But to be honest i dont fish with lures much cause i normally dont fish for anything but cats.

15. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I started trolling crankbaits for crappie. Little did I know that I would catch more channel catfish than crappie. On some days, trolling crankbaits is as good of way to catch catfish as any other method of catfishing. If you haven't tried it, you are missing some good action. You will catch other fish besides catfish but, in the lakes I troll in, more cats than anything else.

16. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I read somewhere to take a deep running crankbait and replace the rear hook with a single and slip on a night crawler. I think it was for searching out channelscats.

17. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Like many others, I've caught them on jigs and crankbaits. Best color has been red and orange.

18. leupy

leupy New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Channel cats from my experience will hit just about any bait at any depth, I have caught them in the middle of the day on in line spinners, jigs for crappie and even hula poppers at night, if channels are there they will get to the bait no matter what it is.

19. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I never catch anything on lures.......:confused2:.... I can count one hand how many times i caught something on a lure.... Last Summer I managed a Bluegilll.......:sad2:

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have caught them on cranks and roadrunners also. im sure if you were to drop a jig in front of a blue or flat they would hit it too.