Lures for catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wiskeredwarrior101, Jun 11, 2007.

1. wiskeredwarrior101

wiskeredwarrior101 New Member

State:
    virginia
    i saw a show today on OLN and the pair of guys fishing were using big muskie hard plastic lures for cats they also used some of those wiggly soft rubber minnows and they just pitched them up into the wash out of a damn, they kept pulling out monsters, does anyone here do this? ive never seen people catch cats that way it seems weird.

2. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I have pondered on the same thing here lately, especially with all the new flavor enhanced baits. Never tried it though. I just stick with what is proven, but may expirement one day.

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    When I used to bass, or bait, fish alot I occasionaly caught channels. I've never really target ed cats with lures.

4. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    When the threadfin are schooling in the fall I can catch blues on my flyrod. I use a white clouser minnow, let it drop through the school of shad and slowly strip it back. The only problem is the white bass and spotted bass usually get it faster than the blues. My largest blue on the flyrod is a five pounder. I have also caught channels on rattletrap.

Take Care,
    P. nasuta

5. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I know of several people that have caught cats while bass or stripper fishing. But the cats don't hit the artificials on a regular basis.

6. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    I have pretty good luck with the flatties here on the james with artificial,but i can't afford to replace all the crankbait they break..:crazy:

Attached Files:

7. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    I have had good luck trolling a large bettlespin along under the bridge over lake Jessup [on the st john's river ,sanford fl.] in the heat of the day, by keeping in the shadows mostly channel cats in 3-5 lbs range. good fun on lite tackle. Hang on they hit like a train wreck .
    Dip your spinner tail in sardine oil left over from breakfast.
    yea I said breakfast ,they Improve the tase of oatmeal.

8. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I caught some flats afew weeks ago on lures. I was fishing up close to the dam. Throwing a spinnerbait with a rubberminnow on it. Basspro shop sells them. I was just letting it fall down the ledges. The spinner would get thier attention and then see the minnow. I caught a 3,8and 12lber that way. Pretty cool. Those things hit a lure pretty hard. I always thought I could catch some on the newer rubber baits. later in the summer Iam goong to try fishing some deep ledges and see if I can get some that way. Should be interesting.

9. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i caught a 8lb. biue by accident? on a #4 mepps minnow, while fishing
    for jack , bass. but none sense.

10. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    My biggest channel was caught on a rat-l-trap while bass fishing:roll_eyes:

11. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i caught a 1.5 pound blue on a jig crappie fishing but thats about it

12. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    never tryed to catch a cat on any lure.... but caught three on a mepp's yellow roster tail well trout fishing in a local pond:embarassed:

13. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i've only caught cats on lures once, was fishing in a small private pond that was supposed to be good for bass. was early morning so i was throwing a buzz bait around. wound up catching 13 cats all under 5lb and no bass.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Crmule, You're ruining some good sardines with that oatmeal. I'm not going to knock sardines, cheese, and crackers while out on the boat; after all, that's roughing it. But the best way is to put the sardines in a bowl and pour olive oil over them. Soak up some oil with bread (or crackers), take a bite of it, some sardine, and some cheese. I usually use sliced American, but it's a matter of personal taste. Now that's some good eatin'. :hungry:

15. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Don't think my wife will let me fish for any of those:smile2: Proly can fish for striper though lol.

16. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    use shadrap crawdad color slow troll around bank just till it digs the bottom every now an then channels love it they want leve it alone