lure in grassy water

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by mistynadam, Jul 25, 2008.

1. mistynadam

mistynadam New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    What's the best lure to use in shallow grassy waters? I'm tired of catching grass and algae:roll_eyes:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    A sassy shad or fluke works pretty good. Rather than running a texas rig sinker, put a nail in the bait, it's enuff to get it down. Or ya mite try a moss frog, it's weedless also

3. mistynadam

mistynadam New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I was thinking something topwater, like the frog you mentioned....Is it better to fish those in the evening?

4. joeceeeee

joeceeeee New Member

State:
    ohio
    Try a jitterbug, they always work well when the light is starting to fade.......:0a20::0a26:

5. mistynadam

mistynadam New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    What's the best action for them? We've tried them, but no luck.:roll_eyes:

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    It's okay any time you want to fish it. The fluke and nail i mentioned, put the nail in the nose end of the bait so it will fall head first when you pause it. Ease it thru the grass and pause in the open holes if there are any.

7. joeceeeee

joeceeeee New Member

State:
    ohio
    reel slow and it will make a wobbling sound and make sure you keep a steady retrieve and your rod tip at about a 45 degree angle towards the bait....... hope that helps!!!!!:roll_eyes:

8. mistynadam

mistynadam New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks!:wink:

9. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Always had good luck with a Johnson Silver Minnow weedless spoon(in black). I added a twister jig and just pulled here slow over the weeds.
    Fun to watch those fish explode up on it. As mentioned if there areape or holes, let her flutter on down and kaplow!!!!!

Richard

10. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i'd say go with a moss frog they work all the time but when you use them you have to wait a second till u set the hook or else they wnt work because if ur fishing over grass and moss wen the bass hits it they will probably have some moss and stuff in theyre mouth making it hard for them to get the lure in theyre mouth so you have wait for them to take it under and swim for a second

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Man, you can catch them any time of day on the frog. You just have to be fishing the right areas and thick weeds just so happens to be one. If there's any spots where it's thin or there's an edge use a swimming frog. Over the thick stuff use one of the Spro frog style lures. I would highly recommend braided line for either of those. It really helps on the hookset and not letting them break you off or bind you up in the weeds.

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I like to use a Senko worm (rig weedless) when I fish in grassy or weeded areas. Your don't have to worry about using a weight on those worms because of the thickness of the worm + it is the perfect shape for it to. I like using the flipping or pitching method when fishing with them,
    you don't want to cast them - just flip them to the spot, that way it is not making a lot of noise when it hits the water.
    :wink:

:0a26:

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like floating topwater baits myself,pop Rs ,Zara spook puppy's are good as well at torpedo's

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    you can also take a 7" ribbontail worm, rig it weedless and rell it just fast enough to keep it above the cover. you can reel it on the surface or just under too, with great results. a stop and go retrieve works good too.

15. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    I like a Shake-IT-Jig Made by Fightin' Bass Lures CO. I throw in and work out real slow.They have a wire weed guard .There better than the fiber one