Lure formulas

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by 223reload, Feb 28, 2007.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I used to make my own gland lure for coyotes its real simple you could also use the same basic formula for fox or cats. First you need glands the most common are the lympth nodes found at the jaw,under the front armpits .along the belly and also the anal glands with approx 4" of the intestine attached. these are collected from each catch .Then i put them into a jar as collected ,and they are placed into a ref.[for this purpose]age them all winter then grind them up and seperate intobabyfood jars,leaving a little headspace for expansion,add a beaver caster to a quart while grinding .after bottled bury about a foot deep for the summer and in the fall you will have a gland lure that works like none other. i also add a drop of skunk essence to a bottle or two at the time of bottling just for a little change-up lure . anyone else have some to share?

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well this was my first year at it and I looked at lures but never bought any. I just took my carcases backk to my trap area and dug shallow wholes to put them in. I cought my fox and three possums and lol two bussards off of the carcas. I let the bussards go of corse.and that was off a few yote carcases after a week down. not too good but for the first year I only run 18 trap/snare mix for 11 days the first week and then 12 trap/snare mix for 10 days about two weeks after I ran the first set. I ended up with 3 yotes, 1 fox, 3 coons, 3 possums, 2 bussards, and a lab and a chow witch were both unharmed and set free. but back to topic I think I might try some bought lure next year and see how t works for me.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on the catch hope ya do better next year

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Richard I am in the process of making and having tested some lure that I have put together. I have taken 5 cats and several fox of it now. I have taken up for the season so I will have to wait till next season to do more of my own testing. I did send out about 6 test jars to other trappers to be tested in Ok, Ks, Tx, Oh, Ky, and Mo. I have already had one gent tell me he has taken 2 cats and 3 coyotes with it. He has only had it for a week now. I have found that a cat can not pass it up. If I get a cat to the set (using attractors), I will have him. They can not or will not leave the set till he steps right in the middle of the pan. On fox though, I have found that once they have smelled it, they will not come back to it. I think any way. What happened here was I set 24 set with nothing but my lure. The second night I took 3 gray fox and missed 2. One of the misses was a total pan miss due to guide moving on me. The fox dug the lure out of the ground and danced all over the place where the guide use to be. He worked the hole from the side. The other, had a chunck of wood stuck in the jaws. The gap was about 1/2". My bad, his luck. I am in love with making lure, but I always have been. I plan to make more next season and possible sale it on a limited bases.

5. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have, played around with lure makeing, for several years,
    for base pure fat from catfish is some of the best oil. if let, render down on its on in dark, tin roof, (need heat) will be a golden color, if put in sun, will turn dark,Also have rendered, beaver fat down, I don't like any meat or blood in the fat, also the beaver oil will waterproof leather boots.
    I would think pure skunk fat would, be the best. (skunk oil)
    Also I have mixed catfish eggs and fat to break down, had best luck first year.
    would be more of a fresh smell, otter and cats were taken as well as coon.
    These are more of a base for food or curiousity lure.
    Cut out I would be interested in, hearing about your cat, lure you are testing,
    In Missouri, is it a gland or curiousity lure, I dont fool with lure makeing any more.
    have 1/2 gal of beaver liver lure coyoye that I give young trappers some when they come by, they all say it works good, about 4 years old and I have
    about 3/4 gallon of ground muskrat 2 years old. this works two.
    Hope this give you some Ideas.
    Jim

6. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I used to run traps w/my dad when I was young. But he quit due to th drop in prices for th pelts. I know he used store bought scents and we did pretty well. I remember brigin home fox, yotes, coon and bobcats. Never ran snares w/him, just foot and neck traps. I am not in th loop anymore, has th price gone up, or are y'all just keepin up th tradition? I wanna teach my kids how to trap animals, but not for cash, but for th same reason my dad taught me, survival. And cuz I dont want that part of American History forgotten. Th only thing is, I dont remember where dad an I ran th traps, lol, nor do I know where or how to get started again. I do have several of my fathers foot traps, but no scents, or lures, hopefully when my copies of field an stream start coming in, I ill find something out in th back of that, I know dad did. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

7. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Keith I do it for tradition cause the prices are still poor. There was boom in the otter market for a few years, but that is bust now. I do know there is a strong Tx asso. Or there are a lot of Tx trappers any way. You may just need to find you one and hook up with them. I do know there is one good looking lady trapper some where out there. She was single too. :big_smile: Only in Tx, dang I am glad to have yall next door.

8. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Magna Glan is my lure of choice. I have tried other scents but Magna Glan is what I have always had the best results with as far as cyotes and bobcats.
    This year I sold 12 cyotes 2 bobcats and 8 coons. I called in 4 of the cyotes when I had the time. Been working alot this year so I could not get out much.

9. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Richard, you got it yet?

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    got it today THANKYOU MUCH!!!!!

11. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    So you think it will take a kitty? Smell good to me, I love just opening a jar and taking a whifff.:big_smile:

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think it'll take a coyote here too !! but I'm only gonna use it on the river for cats

13. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hold on!!! Did you not read the lable? It want catch a coyote!!!! I HOPE!!!!:big_smile:

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Next Fall will tell the tale!!

15. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I may start trying to take coyotes next season. I got $15 for the one that I took and pelted. Last year I was offered $3 and he said if I brought him any more, he would drop it to $2. Now this year he gives me $15 and try evrey thing I can not to take them. It is tough pelting them, but for $15 I will do it. Sting from Tx/Ks has already taken 2 cats and 3 coyotes with his jar.

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

hey hey hey, whats this?are passing around a jar of bait not yet on the market? he he, can i play too?even though its all over here but there is all ways next year. come on guys i wanna play with it to..lol

17. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Tom I wish I would have known. I have shipped out about 10 jars to be tested. I am out now. I will look and see if I have any left that I can scrape together. So far it has worked real well on cats and fox. It will not catch coyotes!!!! All though it has taken 3 so far. Not be me mind ya.

18. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

darn the luck.heck keep me in mind though.i love being apart of lure testing.and you know how kansas is with bobcats so i would be able to really test it too,,lol

19. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I sent Richard a jar hoping he will get his butt back out there to test the stuff. He has got to knock the dust off his traps tho. He has some youngens that need to learn the trade. :big_smile:

20. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

lol. heck i just got my cleaned back up and ready to be put up. sending some out to be modified. through out the summer. its allways a good thing to get your son to trap with ya