Lump Fish

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Ace, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Lumpfish are unattractive fish acquiring their name due to the short stout body which is covered by hard wart like protrusions called tubercles.
    In Europe, lumpfish are commonly called lumpsucker and other common names include henfish, seasnail, lump, paddle-cock, and poule de mer , names which conjure a generally unattractive image.

Adult lumpfish are primarily bottom dwelling fish, inhabiting rocky and stony bottom areas, but they have also been frequently observed hiding under floating masses of seaweed. Change in seasonal distribution is the result of two general migrations, shoreward in April and May and seaward in late autumn. In general, lumpfish favour and seek deep shore and offshore waters of low temperature.

Descriptions of this fish credit it with a great variety of tints, which we can corroborate. On adults the ground tint may be bluish gray, olive, brownish or yellow green, chocolate or kelp brown, or slaty blue, the belly usually being of a paler or more yellowish cast of the same hue, but sometimes whitish. On some specimens the back and sides are marked with dark blotches and more or less dotted with black. Others, however, are plain colored or nearly so, except that the tubercles are usually dark tipped. Young lumpfish (and it is with such that we are most familiar) often match their surroundings very closely in color, usually being mottled olive green and ochre yellow with silvery dots and stripings. Males, when mature, are more vividly colored than females, and their bellies turn red brightest near the sucking disk during the breeding season.

Adult lumpfish are usually 14 to 16 inches long and weigh 3 to 6 pounds, with the females generally larger than the males. Females have been known to get up to 24 inches long and weigh up to 20 pounds. They prefer shallow coastal waters of the North Atlantic and range from the Gulf of St. Lawrence to New Jersey in the west and from northern Norway to Portugal in the east Atlantic.

The roe is removed from the fish by cutting open the body wall. The eggs account for approximately 20 to 30 per cent of the total body weight during the harvesting period. An average sized female can produce up to 140,000 eggs.It is preferable to harvest the roe when it is mature but not over ripe. The eggs at this stage are purple or red in colour. After washing and sieving the eggs they are salted and cured.The finished product is considered a delicacy in the European and North American markets.

:cat:

2. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    that things so ugly its kinda cute. thanks for sharing.

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Ace ya got a nack for finding some freaky fish. I wish the mods would give ya a spot to post all your fish in one place. That way we could go back and find them again. It could be called : Ace's trippy fish fourm.

4. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ace I hope we dont catch any of those fish you are showing when we go drift fishing, we will use my boat ,my reels,and my bait, I think we will be safe for the blues.........and ........flatheads........:thumbsup: :cross: ................

5. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    man that thing looks like something thing that has not finished evolving yet.

Great post ACE.

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Jeeze, what a horrible looking fish. That thing looks like a deformed human baby. I think I'm gonna be scarred for life!!!! The only thing I"ve ever seen that was uglier than that was a greyhound with no top jaw. We called him "faceoff". He was truly horrifying. That dang dog was painful to even look at.

Jerrod

7. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    kind of looks like a baby ewok on crack:)

8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    if i every have somthing like that on the end of my line dont know if i cut the line or throw pole reel and all in.

9. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    that thing would scare me to death if i saw it on my line

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How in the world did you get a picture of my mother-in-law! :eek: That thing is weird looking, even by my standards....good research!

11. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Thats a wierd looking fish, the second picture almost looks like a persons face.

12. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i told ya them dang aliens were for real