Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Lucky Hats!!!

2K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  baitchunker 
#1 ·
cmon post about your lucky hats, mines a mossy oak camo hat about a year old, it has a big chew mark in the front is from my friends dog, he took it off my bike handle bar and started chewing!! lol and theres a bunch of red paint all over my hat, its from when we where painting the trailer to my boat, i took my hat off and set it on the ground and didnt see it when i rolled the trailer over, so my hat has a fresh coat of red paint, and i cant remember the number of fish caught with that hat on, or the number of days being skunked with that hat on :wink: now i wanna here yalls storys!

#3 ·
The hat I have on in my avatar is my hat... It can't be replaced. I TRIED to wear other hats, but I felt completely naked in every aspect without this one... sad thing is, I'm not kidding. Caught my first and biggest flathead and biggest channel cat with it on. Bluecat would be a close one. I was wearing this hat at the national gathering in 2006 when I met some people I'll never forget... It's kind of my trade-mark now. It's been duct-taped together and the cloth on the bill has been worn off for the most part. It's sun bleached to the point it's no longer green, but more yellow than anything. There's sweat stains, paint stains, and stains I don't want to know what they're from. And I got a brass plated fastener in one of the little holes in it just for character... as if it needs more....ha! I'll try and get a pic of this FINE looking hat of mine. A before and after so you can see the difference. Btw, good topic, Tex!

-Red

#4 ·
I'm not sure about a lucky hat. Most times if I wear a hat at all it is my BOC hat. But my friend Dave(skipjack) gave me a camo jacket with a hood on it and I love it. I told him when he gave it to me it would be my lucky jacket and it always is. Vern

#9 ·
I have only not worn a hat in my life outdoors one time. In 1962 I weeded soybeans a full day with no hat. Wound up in the hospital for 3 days with sun stroke, almost died. Even in Chicago for 20 years in a white collar job as a Veterinarian I wore a hat, and I didn't even belong to a gang. All my hats are lucky, some are just more pretty than others. I also have hats I wear when I want to tork somebody off or make a statement. Kind of like a personal bumper sticker on your head. My wife is instructed to look over the hats when she is a garage sales and pick me the neatest ones she can find. Every coupla years I throw away a bunch that I haven't worn and start again. The hat I never wear is my fathers Mobil hat he was wearing when he died.And that is because I can't fill it right.

#11 ·
this is my lucky hat (in my avatar). it has the hook stuck in it that i caught my PB with, a 31 lbs Flathead. it is an old Atlanta Braves hat that used to be dark blue, but is now more of a battleship grey. it has seen quite a few miles and caught quite a few fish.

#12 ·
i live by the code of the lucky hat. i take my lucky hats very seriously... seriously.
to be a j.d. harrison lucky hat original, it has to be tried and true... tried and true i tell ya. all of my lucky hats are forged by fire, they have been with me through thick and thin, (not the hair though). after a hat proves itself on the grounds of survival against odds when the chips are down, it has to be with me when the luck changes. life is part of a cycle. it starts out ugly, then gets pretty, and then gets ugly again b4 you die. if i have a hat that makes it through the tough times but not the good, i know its not lucky and i throw it away. it cant be lucky, its not moving with the cyle of life. the same goes for one that has good times right off the bat. i dont trust hats that were born with a silver spoon, they have to earn it. that being said.

my favorite lucky hat of all time is beyond repair and way beyond use. however it is tacked up on the wall of my bedroom for the end of time (much to the wife's disaproval). it is a red (used to be) budwieser racing team hat (the boat racing team). i dont really like the color red, or racing. but a dear friend of mine gave it to me one night b4 we went to a bar. i had been blessed with a bad haircut, and no lucky hat to hide it at the time, so i put it on. later that night my friend got us into some trouble with some other guys in the bar... we got whipped pretty bad, but managed to crawl out of the bar alive after delivering a few blows of our own. the first stain the hat got was blood fom either me or one of them its hard to say. later my friend told me that the hat was a gift from his recently departed grandpa in texas, but he didnt want it because it was ugly. i was in love with the hat from then on. it had paint from??? i hate painting. blood stains, sweat stains, rips, you name it. it had been wet from the waters of the gulf of mexico, to the pacific ocean. i was wearing my hat the night i met my wife. according to her thats what made me stand out from the crowd? while serving over seas the friend who gave me the hat was killed by an rpg. his sacrifice added an infinite amount of meaning to my hat. i have cought about 16 different species of fish, fom one side of the earth to the other. i bought my first house while wearing the hat, and countless other good times and bad times. i hope to someday meet another hat, capable of being that lucky. but, it will be hard to do.

btw this really is a good thread tex.

#13 ·
Don't take that hat not seriously, young lady. Your husbands, what , what do I say here. Your husbands , not life, not id, not emotion, what? Not superstition, not luck, what do I say here? Amy, do you know? You allow it to be there. What do you think it is Amy? Tell your hubby and maybe he will let me know. I think I know, and I can't quite can't explain it. John.

#20 ·
I also have many hats. Different types as well. Hard hats that I wear at work and for SAR. Do rags for welding and bike riding. Hunting caps, Fishing caps, Racing caps, Club caps, Golf caps, You name it I got it. I pick out the one I need day by day. Each one is lucky to me in its field. I take time to fit and fold each hat to fit just right. One that was special lucky was a blaze orange Red Man cap , many deer havested with that cap. I retired it after I recieved my blaze orange TAKE ONE MAKE ONE cap, its been doing good so far. I believe my hats let those around me know in a way what kinda man I am. So wether I'm at work, on a rescue mission, or just messing around I need the hat for that situation. Pretty much the only time I take it off is to sleep, church, prayer, national anthem, or funerals.

#22 ·
Well he has had time to tell ya himself, but he didn't so I will.

Somewhere on this forum is a thread called Friendly Supportive Gesture, it's about that hat. (I don't know how to post a link to it or I would)

See he lost his fishin hat in the river. He only had his beef hat (for work) and his leather Harley hat (that I won and gave to him) left. Well where I work, we got in some hats one day and there was one with a fish on it so I bought it for him, just to where fishin. He just said thanks, and wore it fishin. I didn't know that he didn't like the darn hat! (I wasn't on here yet)
So one weekend he was off fishin, after I got addicted to this site, and I was goin through old threads just to see what was there. I found that thread. I was PI$$ED!!!! :angry: I wanted to set that hat on fire while he was wearing it!:crazy: (he was already in trouble before he left)
By the time I found that thread he had already caught fish with it on and decided it was now his LUCKY hat.:confused2: When he got home and I laid in to him about it, he hid that hat for several days so I wouldn't do anything to it!:smile2:

That's my story and I'm sticken to it! (or maybe it's his story)

#24 ·
I don't know if it was more because the hat donns a b*ss lure, or the fact that I was still distraught about the loss of my previous lucky hat. I made alot of comments about that hat that I truely regret.

For what it's worth, I wore my new hat into public immediately. I said thank you, and I was sincere when I said it. The hat has wholely filled the void of my previous lucky hat, and even surpasses it in terms of good fortune that I am possitive is the result of the hat. It has been rescued from the murky depths despite the threats to accidentally lose it.

Thank you very much Sheila for the hat (bass hat or not), as it has brought mr good fortune this year in the catfish department. Turns out...catfish can't tell the difference, and are unaware that it is enchanted.:big_smile:

#25 ·
My lucky hat is the one in my avatar. Ive caught many fish and got many deer while wearing it. It has to be at least 5 years old if not 8 or 9. Its a simple generic camo hat that the bill is ripped clear across the front. Ive seen them selling hats like that now, Id rather wear it in myself. Unfortunately I think its on its way out, it only has 3 buttons left on the back for sizing, duct tape or black tape is an option. It also has two tears starting from the button on top of the hat. Sadly Im looking for a new camo hat now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.